Threat to the Oldies

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Same here with an instructor from Hendon. the whole trip with blue lights, siren etc.
The article mentions that the death rate for over 70's accidents has increased from 90 in 2010 to 140 in 2020 however obviously the over 70 population has als0 increased substantially therefore the ratio may still be the same?

The figures given in the Mirror are actual deaths and show an increase, but they are not death rates which would require the deaths to be related to some other parameters such as the population under review, miles driven etc. The D oT paper that I linked to above gives a far more balanced view.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The figures given in the Mirror are actual deaths and show an increase, but they are not death rates which would require the deaths to be related to some other parameters such as the population under review, miles driven etc. The D oT paper that I linked to above gives a far more balanced view.
No link?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Same here with an instructor from Hendon. the whole trip with blue lights, siren etc.
The article mentions that the death rate for over 70's accidents has increased from 90 in 2010 to 140 in 2020 however obviously the over 70 population has als0 increased substantially therefore the ratio may still be the same?
Raw statistics can be misleading - how many over-70s died in accidents where they were passengers or caused by younger drivers, ie not the fault of an older driver - more in-depth analysis is needed before making knee-jerk decisions.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I have been on two police driving courses. One for motorcycles and the other for cars. They were both six week sessions requiring only a small payment to cover admin and tea/ biscuits. I doubt many forces hold them now due to the budgetary constraints and big reduction in traffic officers.

I took my daughter to a series of meetings like that. A trained police driver took the courses in the police canteen. Must have been about 50 on the course. The instructor was excellent. It was free as I remember. Lasted about 6weeks of evening sessions. The only downside was the police people who did not agree with the public going through the building made their feelings obvious.

Must have been nearly 30 years ago. I feel it was money well spent.

I was forgetting, I did go on another one, but that was for speeding! Cost £85. That too was informative, if only to discover how many did not know how to recognise they were in a 30mph zone.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Raw statistics can be misleading - how many over-70s died in accidents where they were passengers or caused by younger drivers, ie not the fault of an older driver - more in-depth analysis is needed before making knee-jerk decisions.
I also wonder how many die at the steering wheel of natural causes and then the car is involved in an accident? Guess we will never know.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I also wonder how many die at the steering wheel of natural causes and then the car is involved in an accident? Guess we will never know.
It's relevant though as it may adversely affect younger people if they're hit in such an accident.

Since the Glasgow bin lorry tragedy, the DVLA have been much more rigorous in assessing medical fitness to drive - I have to go through an annual "inquisition" with an independent doctor - and anyone who admits to drinking more than the NHS recommended limit of 14 units/week is now regarded by DVLA as "alcohol dependent" and subject to the same checks as a repeat drink-driver.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
According to todays paper the idea is to help those who would otherwise lose their licence because of eyesight problems. The idea is that those whose eyesight is failing and would no longer be able to drive are going to be able to get a restricted licence so they can drive during daylight hours. It is therefore useful for those people who are affected rather than the problem that seems to be suggested by the headlines.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Perhaps they should have used the term "night vision". Those whose night vision is affected will have the restricted licence. however who determines when it is night for insurance purposes.
My guess is that if you have a restricted licence, your insurance premium may go through the roof. The knock on effect is that people will not admit to having poor night vision.
I don't have an issue driving at night, but I do not like driving at night on a busy road with oncoming car lights shining in your eyes when it is raining.
What if you have gone to visit someone and due to an issue with time you leave them when it is light, but halfway through your journey it gets dark. It will happen.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Since I had my cataracts sorted in my early 60's, my long vision is superb, I do have to wear specs for reading , but they couldn't give me long and short distance lenses then! (Can they now?) I am now LXXVIII , and it's a bit like electric cars, if I have to do something about it when I'm nearly XC then I'll retire!

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Regarding eye testing, we use to have test annually but it seems the government are saying to do this every two years to save money. This is using the NHS . I do not know what the saving is as ours always seem to be in £250/300 range.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Since I had my cataracts sorted in my early 60's, my long vision is superb, I do have to wear specs for reading , but they couldn't give me long and short distance lenses then! (Can they now?) I am now LXXVIII , and it's a bit like electric cars, if I have to do something about it when I'm nearly XC then I'll retire!
I’ve had varifocals now since the mid 1980s and wear them now. My distance vision is three lines better on the card than the legal limit. I find them useful for mid distance at the computer and reading. When I sat on my pair a few weeks back I drove home in daylight fir some distance. The only issue being that mid distance includes car displays which were not too clear without the varifocal. My wife had her cataracts dine in 2015 and her distance vision is still absolutely superb but she uses reading glasses . Prior to that she used bifocals all of the time, but I couldn’t get on with them, hence my choice of varifocals. I also have a pair of varifocals sunglasses for driving and they have Polaroid, which does reduce daytime glare.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Regarding eye testing, we use to have test annually but it seems the government are saying to do this every two years to save money. This is using the NHS . I do not know what the saving is as ours always seem to be in £250/300 range.
I still go every year and it is free for the eye test. Even if it were pushed out to 2 years I would happily pay the £25 fee. After seeing the real problems my friend has through not being tested and buying his reading glasses from anywhere, it’s false economy. Where do you get the NHS £250-300 range?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts