THS Experience

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
We have just returned from a few days on the Somerset DA THS @ Beehive Field, Bradford on Avon West Wiltshire. As it was our first visit to a THS, we were not certain what we would find!. In a word.....Fantastic! The site was easy to find, the instructions were very clear and well-signposted. The stewards at reception, were extremely helpful and welcoming. Being light sleepers, we were allowed to pick our own level pitch away from the road. The site was very well organised and laid out. Coffee and cake in the reception area, and a 50's event planned one evening. The site was secured at 10pm, and we were given the code should we want to gain access after this time. Plentiful supply of fresh water and excellent waste disposal facilities. Fantastic walking / cycling on the nearby canal tow path, with access to pubs and restaurants. All for £8.50 a night. We had a great holiday, met some great people who gave us lots of great ideas for our next THS adventure. Brilliant!.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Beehive used to be our local, and it's a nice rally field. Walk the dogs everyday along the canal and down by the river. Treasure the experience as our new Neighbourhood Plan may see the Beehive field developed for a community sports complex. Did you visit the Lock Inn Cottage for a Boatmans Breakfast? Glad you enjoyed the THS.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
PHOENIXFLIER said:
We have just returned from a few days on the Somerset DA THS @ Beehive Field, Bradford on Avon West Wiltshire. As it was our first visit to a THS, we were not certain what we would find!. In a word.....Fantastic! The site was easy to find, the instructions were very clear and well-signposted. The stewards at reception, were extremely helpful and welcoming. Being light sleepers, we were allowed to pick our own level pitch away from the road. The site was very well organised and laid out. Coffee and cake in the reception area, and a 50's event planned one evening. The site was secured at 10pm, and we were given the code should we want to gain access after this time. Plentiful supply of fresh water and excellent waste disposal facilities. Fantastic walking / cycling on the nearby canal tow path, with access to pubs and restaurants. All for £8.50 a night. We had a great holiday, met some great people who gave us lots of great ideas for our next THS adventure. Brilliant!.

Please don't use jargon - not everyone understands it!

What is Somerset DA THS for heaven's sake?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
District Association Temporary Holiday Site. Somerset is a county to the south of Wiltshire. :)
THS are a C&CC activity rarely require bookings and provide cheap breaks. Water and waste disposal are provided but rarely power. They are held all over UK and are in nice areas.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
To expand a little:
Temporary Holiday Sites (THS) are organized under the Camping and Caravaning Club exception certificate and you DO have to be a member to make use of them.

They are usually basic field sites with nothing more than fresh water and a facility to empty your toilet. Usually there is no booking ....you simply turn up and depart as you wish. They operate for between 7 and 28 days. Fees are typically around £8 -£11 per night (total per unit).

For us, they, and access to the network of 5-van-only Certificated Sites (CS) is the primary reason for being a member of the Camping and Caravaning Club

Edit: Sorry otherclive .... we 'doubled'

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The WMDA, aka the West Midlands District Association had a splendid turn out this weekend at Riverside Stratford on Avon . You have to be C&CC member. Looked good fun for a cheap weekend away.
Glad you enjoyed it Phoenixflyer

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Will that be quod erat demonstrandum?

If I remember my latin correctly meaning "what was to be demonstrated"

There was however a non latin meaning that has slipped my ailing mind

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Will that be quod erat demonstrandum?

If I remember my latin correctly meaning "what was to be demonstrated"

There was however a non latin meaning that has slipped my ailing mind

Quite easily done?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
PHOENIXFLIER said:
Just booked in for the THS @ Brassknocker, run again by the Somerset DA. Includes a fishing permit as well........it just gets better!

Nice spot Brassknocker and Dundas. Two pubs not far away. The Wheelwrights and the Hop Pole plus cafe the Angel Fish too. Good for buses or cycling into Bath. Keep your eyes out fir the Iford (farm) meets in that similar area. Have a good time.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
FAO PHOENIXFLIER
Be aware that on entering Brassknocker Basin, there is a dip on the tarmac access road as you approach the rally field.
We have an 8m long van and tow with a Shogun. I could hear the corner steady pads scrape along the surface of the tarmac as I started to level out and it's best to approach at an angle if possible. If you have a shorter outfit, then hopefully this will not cause you any problems.
Regards

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Good to hear so many enjoying the THS's . A full list is published in the club magazine each month on the section marked Out and About. Unless stated there is no booking and all types of outfits are welcome. If the THS is aimed at a particular thing, e.g. the Victorian Extravaganza in Llandudno, May bank holiday, and you are not arriving on the first day I suggest you check with stewards to make sure there will be room. Very occasionally I have seen them to be full. Generally though you can just bowl up. For folks who haven't used on before the social aspect varies but there is never any compulsion, or even pressure.

Feb 25, 2017
Visit site
Off to the New Forest for 5 days for a Halloween Bash at another THS next w/e. Hot dogs, bar, competitions, fancy dress, decorate caravan.....wots not to like?.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts