Time to drop the steadies.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Less than two weeks ago we were in Central India eating simple but delicious meal cooked by the village ladies. It was a part of a trip that my wife and I made on our own. I think it was then that we finally decided that the faithful caravan would be sold as commitments to family (old and young) were giving us less flexibility than we used to get when at work. Its been compounded by our liking for small group tours to odd places and the solo drives into Europe where hotel prices are such good value compared to UK. So today less than two weeks after arriving back the good old Bailey has gone along with its chattels right down to the last tablespoon of Puriclens!

The redoubtable XC70 with only 40k on the clock is the next to be changed for a non-turbo, manual, petrol, 4WD carriage that still allows us to explore obscure areas and park where we want to.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive
It is a big decision you have made ,but I think that there comes a time for change in most things, I felt the same when we bought our first caravan,up until then we had enjoyed our time with the children and managed perfectly well without the van. Now they are grown up and there is normally just the 2 of us,we don't have a dog any more either,our needs and things we enjoy doing have changed and although we still enjoy getting away in the van,it may be that our current van will be our last. I hope you enjoy your new adventures and on the subject of your replacement car have you considered the Suzuki Grand Vitara or a Subura XV or Forester ?Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Very interesting Clive.
We have travelled the world got older and with dogs love our regular long weekends away in the UK.
You have done what is right for you. Congratulations. The good news is you can always come back into caravanning whenever you want.
I wish you all the very best in your travels . I do hope you will continue posting on here.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Good decision; well made. There is a time in life for everything and you have found some new things that suit you now. Have the best fun
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for your nice comments. Well two weeks and one day since arriving back in UK the van has gone and already the house seems larger. The new car arrives on Thursday its a three week old Subaru Forester XE petrol pre reg. We test drove a Forester XT, wow what a car, but totally impractical for us oldies. And to cap a successful two weeks we've booked a farm pitched static caravan in N Wales between Barmouth and Harlech. So our grandaughter and dogs will still get their holiday and at a price for mid August which is only slightly higher than we would have paid at C&CC Beddegelert. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of statics which accept dogs and are sited in nice countryside. So fingers crossed it will not be too dissimilar to what we've done over these last many years . .......without the towing!

Happy touring to all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts