Time to go, sadly!

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
I used to be a regular poster on this forum, originally under the name of Rob T then changed to current name unexpectedly after one of the numerous site upgrades. Been a few changes to the site since I first started posting, used to be all posts were moderated before being displayed. That meant if you tried to post a reply on a Friday night it could be Sunday or Monday before it appeared. Didn’t make for smooth communication. Then came the online and active ”Mods” similar to what we have today. I believe Damien might have been one of the original ones although at first they were nameless, only referred to as Mod 1, :Mod 2 etc.
There has been a lot of characters contributing to the forum over the years, some positive contributors, some not so positive. Personally I always enjoyed the contributions of Lord Brakewynd although he wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea.
Sadly though after 36 years of caravanning I’ve decided it’s time to give up this past-time that has given me so much pleasure. Or perhaps I should say that time and age has made that decision for me.
i would like to say thanks to Damien and Parksy for their work in keeping the forum running smoothly. Special thanks to Damien for very helpful advice on numerous occasions regarding caravan maintainance . I note there are still a few old forum acquaintances around such as Dustydog and ProfJohnL, my thanks to them and others for all the pleasurable and informative discussions over the past years
The caravan has now been sold and in the process of selling off the few remaining accessories. It’s been a difficult and , at times sad, process but the head says it’s the right decision although the heart is maybe not so certain
i really just wanted to wish all forum members, new and old, whether we’ve had conversations or not, all the very best for the future. I hope you all have many more happy years of caravanning. I think the future of caravanning might be a bit uncertain so make the most of it while you can.
Safe journey and happy travels.
Rob

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Rob, it has been some time since we last heard from you .
We have indeed had some real characters contributing to the Forum over the years, and it has always been a pleasure to read your posts.

Sadly the time does come when age or other personal issues make people give up the caravan part of their life, and take up other interests of a less demanding nature.

Certainly times have changed as have caravans, and as far as caravans go, from my perspective, not in a good way for owners with so much "hi tech" stuff in them and the cost of spares, which are absurd.

I understand the heart and head arguments when it comes to disposing of items, but sometimes it can be a good thing, and I sincerely hope you find new interests and have a healthy and happy future.

Thank you also for the kind comments, very much appreciated.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Rob,

It has been some considerable time since I've seen a post from you. I Have also given up caravanning over the last few years, and We do miss it but health needs of she who must be obeyed have to come first.

There is nothing stopping you from continuing to engage withe the forum, its often pearls of wisdom from elders that might prevent the of youth forum from making a serious mistake.

What every you decide to do. I hope it goes well for you.

Good Luck.

Reactions: WayneS

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hello.Rob
Thank you for your valuable forum contributions over the years, you're one of the originals who has been with this forum since it first started.
I'm sorry to learn that you have now given up caravanning , it must have been a difficult decision to make.
Please don't be a stranger to the forum, you have years of knowledge and experience which could help others.
Wishing you and yours all the very best for the future.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Morning Rob,

I guess old Father Time catches up with all of us sooner or later. Lord Braykewynd cracked me up with his sense of dry humour. I am sure you, as a founder member on here have many memories of great caravan holidays and adventures. Please keep posting , knowledge is so hard to replace. Best wishes to you and SWMBO for the future. DD

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Just one comment if I may.
How many other forums would deserve such rich praise and warm memories.
I have to say that for me this forum represents balanced and carefully moderated content which is so much preferable to the petty point scoring prevalent in some forums.
Long may it last.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
...........no need to stop posting, stay in touch and maintain your interest.
I'm sure in 36 years you've been there, done that and got the T shirt.
You may miss it yet and take it up again.......I know someone who gave up in their eighties and is now still caravanning in their nineties after taking it up again!!

All the best :)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Rob,
Sad to hear you have decided to hang up the Steady winder, but sure you know best. As others have said good luck for the future on what ever you decide to do. Keep posting. Kev

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts