Time to replace our tug

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We have a Passat GT Estate 2L 150TDi BMT on an 18 plate which in normal circumstances we would changed around the Autumn of 2021 - i.e. 3½ or so old. We have now decided to play catch-up and are looking for something else.

As we are both well retired we thing a SUV-type would probably be the best option to give higher seating making ingress and egress easier - the Passat is quite low. We also no longer need the huge boot space of the Passat. We like the Tiguan but they are related to hen's teeth at the moment and so are somewhat overpriced, plus as I am 6ft 1in and my wife is 5ft 8in we need something with oodles of leg room which the Tiguan seems to lack.

We have a test drive booked with our local Kia dealer for a Sportage GT-ln 1.6L 134dci mild hybrid for next week as they seem to be a popular tug. That was until this afternoon.

We were stopped in a country village and a Karoq pulled up at the side of us. I asked the lady about the car and it turns out they had been looking for a Kia but eventually cancelled due to extended delivery. They wanted a diesel Karoq (4x4 as it happens) but ended up with a petrol. They are also caravanners and say it is "super."

Has any reader got any firsthand experience of a Karoq Sportline 2L (150) diesel and what it is like as a tug. We have a Unicorn 4 Seville 1450kg all up which I don't think will cause it a problem. We had an Octavia on a 04 plate 1.9L 130bhp that was the end of the series 1. We were loath to part with it it was such a nice (and very nippy solo) motor but time passes.....

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
I had a Tiguan which was a nice car for 4 years and had no problems with it 190ps diesel AWD auto, now have a 230 ps petrol hybrid Sportage which I really like but not yet towed with it, again AWD auto but not dsg.

Previously had a couple of 175ps Mazda cx-5 diesel AWD auto not dsg which is a great towcar all towed 1700kg with no problems.

Also consider a Kuga or RAV4 not owned either but both should do the job.

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
I have a 21 plate Tiguan Elegance Diesel 150 with a DSG gearbox towing a 1500 kg all up Olympus 2 530-4 without any problems whatsoever. Very stable and well within the maximum capability of the vehicle and a 100kg noseweight limit with the factory fit tow bar.

Given the Karoq is the same VAG drivetrain I would think you would be OK from that perspective.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you want a VW model then the Skoda and Seat models are worth a look. There are a large number of alternatives, and a Mazda CX 5 would be my first choice, but then I have had three Mazdas with no trouble. so possibly biased.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a Tiguan 18 plate TDI 190ps SEL DSG 4motion just to say i am 6ft 5in tall and my wife is 5ft 10ins and we find legroom okay . and my car would have no problems towing your caravan .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
At 5'6" seeing over the bonnet is my priority. It does remind me of a friend of similar size who worked for Volvo and had a company car. He went down to the London area to change it and found he could not fit easily in the new one and had to drive back to Glasgow with the roof open. Luckily it did not rain and he was able to swap it with a colleague when he got back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At 5'6" seeing over the bonnet is my priority. It does remind me of a friend of similar size who worked for Volvo and had a company car. He went down to the London area to change it and found he could not fit easily in the new one and had to drive back to Glasgow with the roof open. Luckily it did not rain and he was able to swap it with a colleague when he got back.
5'6" to tall for a Volvo? Have you given us the correct size?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I’m 6’ 1”, my wife is 4’ 11” and there’s more than enough seat adjustment for either of us to drive my V90 with lots of headroom for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts