Time to upgrade?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have always been fans of TomTom. Previously we had a TT Classic which lasted us many years and is now used in our second car although we cannot update the Classic any more. Main thing it still works although we hardly ever use it.

Currently we have a TT 1005 Camping and Caravan unit. We did upgrade to buy the TT Go Camper unit last year as the 1005 went faulty after an update. The TT Go Camper was terrible with taking us down incorrect roads with the caravan in tow, voice disappearing and finally not switching on at all despite trying every remedy suggested by TT. We returned the TT Go Camper and paid £25 to get the old TT 1005 Camping and Caravan working, but now it is starting to get a bit dated and we are looking at upgrading. Did an update on it yesterday and it took ages to "settle" down again.
We have no interest in Snooper so that is ruled out as one cannot add your own POIs onto the unit. Has any one had either of the TT Camper versions and then switched to a Garmin or Avtex Camper? If so how do they compare in relation to being user friendly to the TT Camper? Many years ago I tried to set up a Garmin Satnav for a friend and it was not very user friendly like the TT. Obviously things have changed since. Not really interested in the Aguri. Car Satnav was out of date even before we bought the car and it cannot be updated to accept caravan dimensions etc!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Avtex Tourer Two Sat Nav -Caravan And Motorhome Club Edition
Simply Enter the Size and Weight of your Towing Outfit i can not say from Experience because i use my car Sat -Nav ...

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Avtex Tourer Two Sat Nav -Caravan And Motorhome Club Edition
Simply Enter the Size and Weight of your Towing Outfit i can not say from Experience because i use my car Sat -Nav ...
That is the Garmin Satnav in disguise but is it based on the Garmin 770 or the Garmin 780?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve had three cars now with in built satnavs. But I still prefer my Garmin. It’s the second one I’ve owned and what swung me to my first one was that I could programme my route in a PC. Very useful when abroad especially with a Caravan in tow. My current one is Drive Smart 61 LMT or something. It can be preprogrammed and accepts POI. With lifetime updates which came with it it’s far cheaper than annual inbuilt updates. It takes its updates via WiFi and they come out quarterly. Overall I like it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I’ve had three cars now with in built satnavs. But I still prefer my Garmin. It’s the second one I’ve owned and what swung me to my first one was that I could programme my route in a PC. Very useful when abroad especially with a Caravan in tow. My current one is Drive Smart 61 LMT or something. It can be preprogrammed and accepts POI. With lifetime updates which came with it it’s far cheaper than annual inbuilt updates. It takes its updates via WiFi and they come out quarterly. Overall I like it.
Hi Clive i use the Car Sat-Nav but for backup i have a Garmini Drive 50 LMT my wife uses it for her work it brilliant .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive i use the Car Sat-Nav but for backup i have a Garmini Drive 50 LMT my wife uses it for her work it brilliant .

My car satnav is on a screen low down on the fascia so it’s a distraction to look at whereas the Garmin sits on a instrument panel cut out in the middle of the dash and is in line of sight.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My car satnav is on a screen low down on the fascia so it’s a distraction to look at whereas the Garmin sits on a instrument panel cut out in the middle of the dash and is in line of sight.
Hi Clive where you got your Garmin i think that the spot for my car sat -nav it sit centre of the dash on a big screen

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
We have the Garmin camper. Correctly programmed with our units length and width it’s absolutely useless. We have no confidence in it whatsoever as it sends us down totally unsuitable roads. Has the latest map set and is correctly set up. Tried everything Garmin suggests and still it sends us down single track roads.
im using either my old Garmin uni or Google maps via Apple CarPlay on the infotainment screen in the truck and precplanning the route with Google Earth.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive where you got your Garmin i think that the spot for my car sat -nav it sit centre of the dash on a big screen
The only car I’ve had where it’s satnav sat in a good position was a Gen3 Volvo XC70. It rose out of the top of the dashboard when powered on and was in a good vision position. But after three years the free annual upgrades stopped. So even during my ownership I used the Garmin particularly for overseas trips. Sometimes running them in parallel and taking the average😂

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My brother in law got a new Volvo XC60 and he loves it the Sat-Nav is brilliant he does not have to worry about upgrades because his daughter married the salesman who sold it to him My wife uses the Garmin for her work (Nurse) and says it so easy to set up

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Having read many reviews of new Garmin Camper and the new TomTom Go Camper I have come to the conclusion that both have a tendency to take you down unsuitable roads with a caravan in tow. Not really had this issue with our current TT Camping and Caravan version which is the olf 1005. It may be slow but is it still working so will stick with it for this year.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Having read many reviews of new Garmin Camper and the new TomTom Go Camper I have come to the conclusion that both have a tendency to take you down unsuitable roads with a caravan in tow. Not really had this issue with our current TT Camping and Caravan version which is the olf 1005. It may be slow but is it still working so will stick with it for this year.
Hi Ian i think you have made a wise move :giggle:

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I have had a Tom Tom GO Camper for nearly two years. It hasn't sent me down any narrow roads (yet?). I exaggerate the dimensions of my outfit when setting it up.
My Touareg's sat nav is pretty good and well positioned... but requires a mortgage to update.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have had a Tom Tom GO Camper for nearly two years. It hasn't sent me down any narrow roads (yet?). I exaggerate the dimensions of my outfit when setting it up.
My Touareg's sat nav is pretty good and well positioned... but requires a mortgage to update.

I don't know which version of Touareg you have but satnav updates are much cheaper from places like this https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/2019-...v-navigation-sd-card-map-update-v13-841-p.asp - I updated firmware, software and maps last year to get the latest versions, cost was £60.

Reactions: PTA

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts