Time Up?

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I have literally just received a call from a telesales person who was wanting to know if I am looking to write/re-write my Will - at this hour! This wasn't a random call as they knew my name.

Having done a full days work, come in, cooked dinner, washed up the last thing I am considering is whether I want to write a Will or not. I am already ex-directory but continue to have this unwanted intrusion into my life, even from my own bank who are always trying to sell me something in the evenings. It appears no consideration is given to the fact that I may like an hour of peace before turning in for the night. Moreover, is there anything I can do to stop it?

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Valerie

I am registered with the Telephone Preference Service.

This is the link (as you can register online):

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
It is free to register.

I still get the odd call from marketing companies though. What I do is say 'yes I am interested, let me just get a pen and paper' then put the handset on the table and leave it there. The longest any company has waited for me to return was over an hour. I kept going back to the handset and listening to see if they were still there, I never continue a conversation when I've put the handset on the table, I just wait for them to hang up.

Sadly, I asked a double glazing company to come round and give me a quote for a conservatory about six months ago and despite me asking them not to ring me anymore, they still do about every two weeks. I've even told them that I've moved house but retained my number and still it doesn't stop them calling me. I'll have write to their office I guess.

Anyway, did they give you a quote for the will writing service at all? - as I have been looking into that. LOL!!

Lisa

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
No quote Lisa - they didn't get that far, suggested they may be wishing they had written their Will if they call me again at such a time.

I will definitely try that link, thank goodness. I joined the mailing preference but didn't realise there was one for telephone calls as well, whatever next. Can't do without my beauty sleep.

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Now this is strange. I followed the link, put my phone number in and it says its already registered - goodness knows how many calls I'd have received if it hadn't been registered - I should be grateful I suppose...

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unwanted calls are an invasion of privacy, but wore still is the knowledge that your personal details have been sold on by one of th emany "companies" who do this.

Ask for the persons phone number with a promise of calling back to order, then call them at 3am,,,,,,they will not call again.

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I have had the Call Preference service for several years - in general it has stopped nearly all calls - if you do get one, ask the person calling if they have heard of the call preference service, there is usually a mumbled apology, or they simply hang up very rapidly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
An employee in the Sony factory was regularly working nights and had a phone call at 10:00am from a double glazing sales man. He told him he was thinking of having double glazing but it was inconvenient to talk at present so if I have your phone number I will call you back.

He called the salesman at 3:00am from work whilst on break, much to the annoyance of the chap being woken up at such a time. The Sony employee's response was that this was his "daytime" and as he worked niights regularly he was woken up with the initial call. After a few unmentionable expletives the salesman hung up and never did make further contact.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
When Im called by these companys I just ask them for their home number, ask what time they finish work and ill call them at home. Most put the phone down but some ask why I want to do this and my reply is always, your disterbing me at home so ill disterb you when you get home, that usually does the trick.

Kevin

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Valerie

I've just sent off my electorial roll new for this year.

There was a little box this time to tick!!

You can now opt out from them passing details out...

My tick was very firmly planted

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Valerie,

I've just received exactly the same call, only it was an automated call.

I have been registered with the Telephone Preference Service for many years but have noticed recently that I am receiving quite a few of these type of calls recently. It certainly makes me wonder just how effective this service is. I have also opted out of the public version of the electoral register so my name and number could not be found on these lists.

Speaking to a friend the other day she said that her sister works in one of these call centres and said that you should not just put the phone down. If you do all that happens is that you go to the back of the queue and you will just end up receiving another call at another time. It is better to ask them how they obtained your number as you are ex-directory and more often than not they will put the phone down on you.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I am ex directory, so I do ask how they get this number and my name and yes they hang up when I start asking questions.

I have Lloyds and British Legion ringing at the moment!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts