Tips for new starters

What would you recommend?

• Start with a 2 berth and upgrade once you've got some experience.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dec 8, 2021
Visit site
Hi,
I've grown up going on caravan holidays so I'm quite well versed with caravan holidays.

I'm now in a position where I have space on my drive for a caravan and we find ourselves going on weekend trips away (sometimes not even that far from home) and I think it would be a great idea to get a caravan. We like bike riding too, so it'll be nice to get out and explore and have a caravan as a base.

I've not towed anything, fortunately my dad has a trailer that I can practise towing with locally before committing to a caravan. Also I would plan on doing a towing course. I'm confident I'll be able to tow, I enjoy driving and we have an automatic so it's as easy as it's going to get. We've been looking at caravans and went to the NEC show. It was eye opening to see all the different layouts. Initially I thought it best to start with a 2 berth so I can adjust to towing but having been to look at vans, weve realised we would quite like a fixed bed. One less thing to set up, and will likely have a more comfortable sleep. Im concerned about the extra length, but my dad tells me I'll be fine and won't really notice the extra meter or two.

I'm a little more cautious though. At the same time however, I don't want to buy a 2 berth to then regret not having just got the van we wanted in the first place. I'm sure others have been in a similar position and just wondering what you did?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It all depends on your caravanning style, we bought ours, for myself to keep out of the UK for tax purposes, so a largish van with a fixed bed, ( no sleeping bags for us) towing maybe 1000/ 2000 miles a trip for a month every 12 weeks. Towed by a Vauxhall 3.0 V6 Vectra diesel. We had a Sterling Eccles Jewel. . It all depend on what touring your doing.

Reactions: freeman3030
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We don't sit outside with coats on reading books by Head Lights, at night, we BBQ and eat outside in warm weather, we walk to local pubs or in warm evenings sit outside the van, winters we have warm nights inside.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We started with a small second hand caravan to see what we liked and what we did not like. We traded it in after about 6 weeks for one with a fixed bed. However the layout did not suit us so about 7 months later we traded it in for one with a layout that we liked and kept that caravan for neatly 7 years.
We now have a large twin axle with fixed bed and the layout we like with all the mod cons to make life more relaxing when out and about.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
After stopping in 2011/12 with ill issues we decided to try seasonal and brought a luxury caravan a Twin axle L Shaped lounge fixed bed + end washroom did that for a few years in 2018 got a bigger car and i said it would be nice if i could try and do touring again so we brought private in 2019 a 2 berth end washroom caravan we have love it plenty of room the bunks are big enough i am 6ft 5in tall but we were going to upgrade to a 4 berth caravan that had fixed bunks and end washroom but that was my choice .

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have moved over the years from having to make up the bed to a fixed one and do not regret it. It is really all a matter of personal choice and possibly with fixed beds getting older.
With a two berth you have to ask yourself if you want the bother of making up the bed every night and taking it down every morning before you can have breakfast. Only you can answer that one.
A possible compromise is a second layout that has the conventional lounge/bed at the front and a small two person dinette down one side, immediately behind this. It does enable you to have breakfast without taking down the bed and possibly just leaving it as it is all day sometimes if that helps. The Bailey Madrid is a typical example but you will find others in most ranges.
The idea of buying a two berth and possibly trading up to a fixed bed is workable for many, but would almost certainly involve some loss on changing. If you are considering an old and relatively cheap model as a starter to see how it goes, the idea has merit.
Starting with a fixed bed is many peoples way of getting a caravan but it is simply a personal decision that would be based on your priorities. Two berths are generally shorter and lighter and you might find the larger ones have more room as the layout is less complex. If you have friends or grand children who might want to come with you though they are none starters.
There is no right or wrong answer you simply have to look at the various layouts at a local dealer if possible and see what suits you best.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have gone the other way, from a larger fixed bed to a really tiny two berth (Xplore 302) to a larger 2 berth when the 302 died of damp. This was via a seasonal 8 foot behemoth. The tiny 302 has been my favourite van.
TBH my view is just start somewhere. What you want/need ( not the same thing at all) changes as your life changes. Every van has its compromise. Have a look at what is in your weight and budget and pick one. I know that is not helpful, but let’s face it, you will do a load of research and then that will go out of the window when you just fall in love with one at a dealership and talk yourselves into it.
Just enjoy whatever it is you choose.
Happy hunting
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We gave up caravanning in 2014 and sold the fixed bed Bailey. Three years later we decided to buy another caravan. We looked at an updated version of our Bailey but the overall length had reduced so despite having the same size bed the lounge seats had been shortened, which we didn’t like. At the dealers as we were keen to buy we just looked into a Sprite five berth and it had no fixed bed but the overall feeling of spaciousness grabbed us and we bought it.
When there was just two of us I slept on the front made up double. My wife slept on a good sized rear single. When our granddaughter came I slept on the rear single and the two “ladies” slept on the front double.
One one occasion we had four of us and used the rear single converted into a small double. Never did use the rear single elevated bunk though as by then the grand kids were over it’s weight limit being adult or teenage.
It was so flexible and putting up the front double took 10 minutes at most including fitting the protectors and throws as the dogs would sleep on it with me.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your response. It'll mainly use used for long weekends and quick getaways we'd probably do 2 or 3 week long holidays per year.
Therein lies your answer.
Go down the Mel suggestion. Light weight , compact, more fuel efficient and easier to clean. Longer holidays use an awning.

Reactions: Mel

TRENDING THREADS