Tips for scratch removal please !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I managed to run a little too close to a hawthorne hedge whilst on site last weekend. As a result I now have scratches on both windows and bodywork on one side of the van, some quite deep.

(GUTTED !) Any advice on their removal would be much appreciated.

Surely, I'm not the only person to have done this !!??

Thanks,

Mike.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
Bet your well gutted.For the windows there are a number of products on the market for removing ' light ' scratches ( how you define light I do not know ) from plastic windows the one I have used is made by Fenwicks and is called windowize and cost

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Mike

Do not pay for anything to get light scratches out of windows unless you have dentures.

Why? toothpaste will remove minor scratches from the windows without any dulling of the surface. I have used it many times when I have passed the odd low branch etc.

Steve

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
*says, with a very quizzical lok in his eyes*,,ermm Steve,would it be impolite to ask if you have sought medical help if you are passing the odd low branch,and whatever "etc" is????

*runs and hides*

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
*says, with a very quizzical lok in his eyes*,,ermm Steve,would it be impolite to ask if you have sought medical help if you are passing the odd low branch,and whatever "etc" is????

*runs and hides*
Bushes, but you have to take care passing them as the thorns can sting!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have used Brasso in the past, use sparingly on a soft cloth and in a circular motion. Good for light scratching but if they are deep and you can't live with them it might mean replacement.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Well LOL, I have a fix for the deeper ones as well.

1200 grit wet and dry, loads of soapy water and work the scratch out to a flat. This will dull the surface and look BAD.

next its brasso to get a clear surface again and finish with toothpaste to get it to match the surrounding area.

Oh, incase you want to know how I learnt this. I used to have to make battery vents that you could see through. Using hand tools like a saw and files, I was eventually able to get the shape and clarity required.

As long as its not rushed, it will work very well on almost all scratched in plastics

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sounds a reasonable way way of doing it Steve, are the windows thick enough to take that sort of reduction in depth? I wonder if there is a clear filler you could use and then sand it down level, using the method you desribe.

TRENDING THREADS