To cover or not to cover?

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Hi to all caravanners and may your summer be long and hot! I have purchased a breathable cover (Pro-Tec- Bradford) for my new Argente 650/6. Having got her on to a secure site, I notice that mine and one more caravan on the site has a cover. This gives me a certain feeling of insecurity! Is it me or do other caravanners know something I don't? I have checked the van on a few occasions and found no condensation under the cover due to its breathability (if thats a word!) It certainly keeps the van in tip top condition as far as algea and bird poo and dust is concerned- no more washing before you go away cos you are ashamed to tow it onto a public road! But am I storing problems up for later years? I notice Bailey have no problems with the new breathable covers. Or is it that they are relatively new and have got to catch on yet? Cover owners please tell me they are ok!

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
I've used a Pro-tec cover on my previous caravan for two years with no problems, and have bought a new Pro-tec cover for my new caravan, a perfect fit - wouldn't be without one.

I read a lot about people's "Damp" problems - but do they use a cover in Winter?

May 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Merve,

We have a lerge roadside lime tree overhanging our drive that drops a sticky gunge onto all below it through the Summer months; when that isn't happening all of the local birds pop over just to sit on its branches and have a crap. So each of our last 4 caravans, going back 10 years, have had covers. The newer ones of course have been much better and apart from the pain of putting them on and taking them off we have never regretted them. Certainly no damp or condensation problems.

Cheers,

Mike A

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Vernon and Mike A. Good of you to take the trouble. I have to say that I am pretty impressed with it. The only thing I have worried about is the "pooling" of water on the roof which I have now solved by getting 3 lengths of the largest pipe lagging available, taping them together length ways to form a triangle shape and placing as many as it takes down the middle of the length of the roof so the cover has a natural high point and sheds the rain water easily. Bit of a game but for the extra peace of mind I think its well worth it. Of course, they are very light soft and waterproof and are ideal for this purpose. It may be of help to you in return but if not Thanks Again!!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Merve, we hare waiting on the delivery of a pro tec cover for our van.

We were originally advised not to use a cover, but having checked with Swift Group, they are happy with the Pro Tec, and as we have recently been the target of thieves breaking into the van and stealing quite a lot of our equipment, anything which makes a prospective thief move on is worth the time and cost to have.

Its another obstacle for them to overcome.

I am sorry to have to do this, and even more apologetic to any other owners of vans which are targetted instead of ours.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Merve, like the others I can only recommend my Protec cover, it came with the van and the copmany who sold it to me, when asked, would not comment on whether to use it or not. I did use it and am very pleased that I did as it protects the van without any damp or condensation etc, but it also camoflage's the van as its stored at the side of my house.

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Merve

Get a cover and use it. We came back to caravanning last year and decided to buy a cover as our old van was always dirty after the winter particularly from smuts from ours and others fires. ( We live in the country and everyone has a wood burner in their house). So we bought a Pro Tec cover. When the van emerged this year it was clean and not at all damp. Like Tony, our van is parked at the front of the house so the cover helped disguise it. I was a little concerned about covers as there always seems to be lots for sale in the second hand column of the PC magazine, but I'm very glad to have one. Go for it.

Gill

G

Agree with all the comments. I am on my 2nd Protec cover (new van) and find them excellent. Just be careful when tightening up the straps, if you pull too hard the material tears. I also use a stepladder to get the thing on, the poles supplied never seem to work that well.

One thing I am doing is to fit loops to the top 4 corners. This will help me to pull it on, and allow me to hang it up in the garage if i take it off wet.

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I like your idea of loops on the top, Scotch Lad. The cover came off very easily, but putting it on was difficult. Our daughter was around to help, but even with three of us it wasn't easy. I agree using the poles didn't seem to be of much use. Would welcome any tips from seasoned cover users.

Gill

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, I've just re read your message, Scotch Lad. What poles supplied? I thought intially you meant using your own poles like broomsticks etc, or did you mean Poles. Will Romanians do instead and could they be supplied

Gill

Mar 4, 2006
Visit site
Keith at Pro-Tec told me the best way to fit the cover is to lay it on the ground inside facing down, then roll the sides in, to form a kind of tube with the inside facing out.

Then using a step ladder pull the cover up over the middle of the roof and over the back, then unfold the sides down, and fasten underneath.

Hope this makes sense to you! I've done it this way and it's easier than using the poles.

I agree with Scotchlad, careful with tightening the straps, I was over zealous in tightening and tore the material, but Pro-tec repaired it FOC while I waited.

The latest covers have the straps fitted differently so the problem shouldn't occur now.

Apr 1, 2006
Visit site
Sorry, I've just re read your message, Scotch Lad. What poles supplied? I thought intially you meant using your own poles like broomsticks etc, or did you mean Poles. Will Romanians do instead and could they be supplied

Gill
Perhaps I can help Gill. Pro-Tec supply extendable poles in aluminium. Twist and lock sort with all new covers. However, we tend to use them upside down as the handle is easier on the cloth than the business end. We find them difficult to use but with a double wheel base van there is an awful lot of cover so we just take our time and we get it on eventually.

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Thanks a milion, Vernon. I understood you and think its a winner. Will give it a try when we pack in for the year. It's so obvious really, but the obvious generally eludes me.

Gill

G

What is the main problem is how many bits and pieces you have sticking up on the roof. Skylights are usually not a problem but the heater chimney and a TV aerial can be annoying as they always catch. That is why I use a ladder to get at those bits and ease the cover along.

I like the idea of rolling the cover into a tube and will give it a go in the Autumn.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts