Toll charges in France

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Yes, very, no PIN required, just put the card in the slot & it's returned a second or 2 later.
It might be an idea to make sure that there are no 'Overseas service charges' on your card, our UK bank introduced one of £5.20 per transaction earlier in the year without telling us & a £5.20 card charge on a 1€ toll might hurt.

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

You don't have to use the CB lane. If you prefer to deal with a person, just join the queue for any of the lanes and hand over your card. It's just swiped and returned - no need to put your PIN number in. Really quick and easy and saves messing about with all that change!

Jo

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I have been in an Unmaned French Toll booth where there was only two ways of paying to make an exit......an electronic tag or a payment card.
These are becoming more common on the smaller exits to toll roads.
There is no provision for a cash payment as presumably, being somewhat isolated the booths would be subject to theft.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Gafferbill - I'm glad you've seen the 'cash-free' booths too! Someone on another website commented that there weren't any where cash was NOT accepted, but we've found at least two that I know of. At the first barrier we were just about to reverse back as we didn't realise you could just use 'any' card - but a nice Frenchman paid the couple of euros toll with his card. Now we're prepared on the smaller sliproads, and always have a card at hand. We don't use the tolls a lot these days, but I know the entry sliproad nearest to Chateau du Gandspette heading towards Calais used to be card only - I'm not sure what the current situation is because I'm talking some years ago.

G

I have not seen any where you could ONLY use a card. I have seen many where the booth is unmanned but the machine always had a slot for coins and notes. As mentioned these are usually on small exits and of course often the case on Sundays.

The question is, if you use a UK card are you getting'hit' with atransaction fee to convert to euros? If so, a 5 euro toll could be pretty expensive. I have a euro card so that would not apply to me, but again, I am loathe to actually use it apart from getting cash.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
JoannaLesley said:
You don't have to use the CB lane. If you prefer to deal with a person,
The CB lane is normally shorter & quicker, which was my main reason for using it.
just join the queue for any of the lanes
Except the one marked with a big T on an orange background, it's annoying (to put it mildly) having to back-up along with half a dozen other cars because the (normally Dutch) pratt at the barrier doesn't know what Telepeage means.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/homepage.html

....... The above link takes you to the Societies d'Autoroutes home page and is a mine of information with live traffic information, weather reports and toll road webcams across France.
It also has links to all the individual Toll road company’s home pages.
Most of these websites have an English version you will need to click the tab.
You may like to notice that some companies do not accept some payment cards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts