Tom Tom problem

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Bought a six month old Fiat Ducato based Swift Lifestyle motorhome at the weekend and jolly good it is too. even though I was warned off Fiat based campers it seemed such a "right" van for us we went ahead anyway. Spent all weekend away in it and the only problem so far is with the Satnav. For most of the weekend it was working fine but yesterday afternoon it started going haywire. :woohoo:

"at the next roundabout in 200yds, go straight on and take the second exit."

But there isn't a roundabout and never has been. Then a couple of miles later it totally ignores a roundabout that's been there since Pontius was a pilot, it just doesn't show it on the map or mention it. Then on a single lane road, the A428, it suddenly shows a non existent junction and asks me to move out to the right lane as if I'm on a dual carriageway. And various other spurious junctions that aren't there.

SWMBO thinks it's decided it wants to go home to Italy. :dry:

Spoke to the dealer and he says, "oh dear that doesn't sound right". :S "No sh8t Sherlock" says I. "Bring it back and leave it with us for a day or so and we'll see if we can fix it", he kindly (rightly) offers. But that leaves me 80 miles from home and no transport. :unsure:

Ho hum, the joys of modern teknolergy eh?

Just thought you'd like to know that's all. Guess I might try a software update but that ain't as easy as you'd think. Got to download the update on to a memory stick then upload on to the camper and it's all v time consuming and worrying. Might just leave it and use my portable Garmin until I can get it back to the dealer. But buying a good as new camper with just 4,000 mils on it is not as straightforward as it should be is it?

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It looks like it isn't picking up satellites properly. Is there a GPS Reset function in the Settings?
You could try looking at the TomTom forum for answers but if it is a model in the latest NAV4 range then sticking to your old Garmin might be the wisest choice :(

Graham

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
That's a shame

We bought a 2013 Escape 686 (now called lifestyle I think), wife was a reluctant convert but now thoroughly enjoying freedom / home from home lifestyle.

We have a Garmin 760 which we are v happy with (we bought it after the iphone took us down an 8' wide country lane in Dorset on our maiden voyage )

Enjoy the motorhome and welcome to the world of motorhome fun

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Not quite sure what happened but I had a play around with the various menus and think I pressed "factory reset" though tbh I pressed just about every button on it, anyway the upshot is it's now working perfectly. :lol:

So the good old computer standby of switching off then back on, seems to have done the trick. :S

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Does your Lifestyle have a built in Sat Nav?
We have a Lifestyle 2006 no built in Sat Nav, but we use the good old Tom Tom, with lifetime updates.

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Yes, ours has got built in Tom Tom. And very good it is too though it's a bit too easy to push the wrong button when driving. To make that clearer, I'm driving and SWMBO's button pushing.

Had a couple of near misses where the SatNav took us close, but not quite close enough. Last weekend arriving at Rutland CC site it took us to the farm that seems to own the site and we then had to drive back into the village of Greetham, out into the country for a 3 mile detour and back the other side of the same farm and similar at Swaffham the week before. I was stupidly blindly following the satnav and we ended up on a very narrow unmade track which culminated in a railway bridge that was obviously too low. So I turned round in a smart private house driveway and after a five point turn went back to the main road and the campsite was next door. Site Manager said Tom Tom takes you to that house whereas Garmin takes you to his site. Odd eh? He said they've had a couple of big caravan rigs get in lots of trouble there where they've had to uncouple and do it by hand.

Ho hum, the joys of camping - all adds to life's rich tapestry eh?

gjh

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Just to pick up on the point of "close, but not quite close enough". I've noticed that several site POIs (perhaps more especially CLs and CSs) appear to be based on a coordinate point in the middle of the site. I've noticed the same sort of thing with some references for rallies/THSs where the rally field might be identified rather than the site entrance.

I'm doing a (non-scientific) comparison of three different sat navs on our trips at the moment (it's OK because I'm the passenger) and on a trip to a THS where the rally field was the destination two devices took us the right way but one device would have taken us another way (though one which was still valid in terms of navigation to the destination point).

What I have started to do now, where possible, is to use Google Maps to identify the entrance (from the road) to the site and use the coordinates of that point in the sat nav.

Graham

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts