too much fun

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I've heard it all now I think!!!!

As most of you know I have a wind jammer aerofoil which I mount on the car to aid towing the caravan. Now the same said item sports probably twenty or so stickers of places we've been,Falkirk wheel, lands end etc etc. We thought it jazzed up what was otherwise a black board.

As I seldome use things for just one application, I used ours to hide things stored under the van simlar to using an awning skirt.

I was asked to turn it round the other day because it was too much of a carnival. I thought holiday parks were supposed to be happy places?

I wonder how many folks have had strange odd request's while on a holiday site.

Still bemused!?? :( :(

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Would you please stop the children from playing on the grass,

this is not a play area. My reply to the warden was but its grass, he replyed its not play grass.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Bob.

You jogged my mind back to an episode at our local waste disposal site.

I had dug out some of our lawn and soil to make a pad for our caravan to stay on at home. I towed the trailer of soil to the local council tip site and was about to unload it into the soil and garden waste skip when a worker ran over shouting "You can't do that"!!

I said why? The reply was "your soil's too dirty". You what I said.

He said again, "your soil's too dirty, we can't have grass in the soil". What about the sign I said, It say's soil and garden waste. He said, "but that mucches down to fertiliser".

I had to tip the load into the builders waste which was rubble to go over the general tip waste at the land fill, then the soil was added and finally grass seed sewn over to return the landfill to pasture. Well thta was what I found out at the council office because the berk at the tip then reported me as a builder using the tip without license.

Could of made a film with Sid James, Carry on Tipping.

I love "jobsworths and clipboard charlies".

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Years ago, I took a group of boys to a London common where we tied a net between two trees. We hadn't been into our game long before a park keeper came along, telling us to take it down. I protested saying we weren't harming the trees. His reply was that it was against regulations - "You are not allowed to have an erection of any sort on the common." I didn't even try not to laugh.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
....I have been shouted at whilst having a shower by a campsite owner.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING? I'VE JUST SPENT AN HOUR CLEANING THESE SHOWERS!".... he bellowed.

I think his name was Richard Cranium but I haven't been back since!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Only today have I come across a bullyboy jobsworth at our Waste Dispoal Site.

Apart from broken up kitchen units I had some boxes with paints, thinners, pesticides etc. so I pulled up where the boxes should go. On the notice it said to get assistance for these substances so I put the boxes on the floor and went off to find someone. I noticed someone heading towards me and before I said anything he shouted at me saying I can't leave that stuff there. My hackles immediately started to go up and I informed him I was following instructions and looking for a member of staff, hence the reason my car is still there and I'm 50 yards away from it. He then shouted back that there's another member of staff in the weighbridge.

I told him, now in an even more raised voice, I want to dispose of these substances in the proper manner, not get the ******* stuff weighed. I was on my way to find a member of staff and I found one, YOU.

His whole attitude changed from that point and he couldn't be more helpful, even helping me unload the old kitchen units into the skips. I couldn't be ar$ed to thank him though after his initial attitude.

The way he acted he could have had a little old lady in tears.

G

LB,

I am surprised that you were not directed to a point well away from the skips, as that is where they usually want 'dangerous' items such as paint, thinners etc. It is usally and old broken skip with no label on it. You tell it is the right one, if there are other similar items in it.

The local dump here, ok 'recycling centre' to give it its posh name usually has 2 morons (sorry, operatives) who stand at one end ignoring everybody until someone tries to put something into a skip clearly labelled with what they are carrying, but NOT today. TODAY, it goes over there. Also, have you noticed how even just after lunchtime the place is full of refuse vehicles, all parked up with nothing to do. What a job, but like the dockers of old, you need a relative to get you in.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
LB,

I am surprised that you were not directed to a point well away from the skips, as that is where they usually want 'dangerous' items such as paint, thinners etc. It is usally and old broken skip with no label on it. You tell it is the right one, if there are other similar items in it.

The local dump here, ok 'recycling centre' to give it its posh name usually has 2 morons (sorry, operatives) who stand at one end ignoring everybody until someone tries to put something into a skip clearly labelled with what they are carrying, but NOT today. TODAY, it goes over there. Also, have you noticed how even just after lunchtime the place is full of refuse vehicles, all parked up with nothing to do. What a job, but like the dockers of old, you need a relative to get you in.
To be honest SL I was gobsmacked when I was directed to put the paint in landfill.

Another annoyance with me is that at home we have a large recycling bin for dry stuff like paper, tins, cardboard, plastics etc. but if you have plastics like washing up bowls for example and take it to the Waste Recycling there is no recycling facilities for plastic, you are instructed to put it in landfill. Once I had 6 large plastic patio plant containers and spent ages washing them for recycling and once at the tip they went to landfill.

Yet here we are in 2010 having people snooped on to see what they've put in their bins or if the bins are slightly ajar they are fined.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
To be honest SL I was gobsmacked when I was directed to put the paint in landfill.

Another annoyance with me is that at home we have a large recycling bin for dry stuff like paper, tins, cardboard, plastics etc. but if you have plastics like washing up bowls for example and take it to the Waste Recycling there is no recycling facilities for plastic, you are instructed to put it in landfill. Once I had 6 large plastic patio plant containers and spent ages washing them for recycling and once at the tip they went to landfill.

Yet here we are in 2010 having people snooped on to see what they've put in their bins or if the bins are slightly ajar they are fined

G

I do agree, however, I have to 'boast' and state that here in Edinbugger we still have weekly collections, without any real hassle about what is in the bin. I also got up at 6.30 am this morning to pull 2 redundant sofas out of the garage and 'park' them at the kerbside for a pre-arranged collection which states have them available by 7 am. I fully expected to see them still sitting there at lunchtime but no, they were gone by 7.30 am. Either that, or somebody nicked them. Either way I was glad to get rid of them.

I could say it is due to the benevolence of the Scottish Executive, but no it is Edinbugger Cooncil. Mind you they are now bankrupt with tram costs, so maybe all our good things will end soon.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Here in semi-rural North/West Yorkshire (we nearly straddle the border) we also have weekly collections - just a black bin liner with two replacements supplied by the council each week printed with the dates of all the collections in the next couple of months. We also have a fortnightly recycling collection of glass, tins, and newspapers, but you don't get a 'fine' or a nasty message if you inadvertently put any of these into your bin liner. Mind you we pay nearly three times as much in Council Tax and Water Rates as our son who lives in a similarly rated property in a different Council Tax area.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
try Sheffield , we have 3 wheelie bins, and you want to try and find a home for those.

one is for general waste, one for paper and card, but no staples or plastic, and the other is for garden waste and kitchen green waste that all goes to veolia composting sites.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts