Tool Kits

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm going to make up a basic tool kit solely for the caravan. Are there any suggestions about what I should put in it? Obvoiusly weight is, as always, an issue, especially as I have just bought a trolley jack.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris I always take a Stanley knife, pliers, screwdriver as Pete suggests, hammer/mallet, adjustable spanner, duck tape, pack of epoxy, and a length of rope - say 10 metres which should be strong enough to pull your caravan or car off a muddy pitch. These will get you out of most problems.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What about a torque wrench? Whats the right size to get?
Chris

A torque wrench would be usually used on the wheel nuts/studs of the caravan or car, so refer to the manuals and get one to suit. I always carry one around in the car boot anyway. Make sure that you have the correct sized sockets to go with it.

I always carry a telescopic wheel brace as well after I had to call out the RAC to undo my wheel nuts after getting a puncture. The tool that came with the car just couldn't do it, even with me jumping on it. The RAC man used an extending brace and the nuts were cracked within seconds. I carry one in each car now all the time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris

I always carry a voltmeter in the caravan. A small pocket one will do as long as it can test voltages up to 240v AC, 15v DC, and continuity. It's really useful if something stops working so that you can check fuses and cable connections, or even the batteries and bulbs in any torches, radios, cameras etc.

Jun 9, 2005
Visit site
Apart from a selection of tools, a caravan bulb kit incl interior lamps is useful, as is a selection of spares such as O rings for Whale water systems, certain (isabella) awning parts-anything you feel is vulnerable. I keep a spare van water pump too-if you burn one out a long round trip might be needed.

Just watch the weight-is a trolley jack really necessary?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
fellas fellas fellas, just what are doing! Let the missus deal with the maintenance side of things while you have a cool beer, what a woman can do with a tool in her hands has to be experienced

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How about adding a screwdriver - I filed one from a short length of aluminium rod - broad blade at one end, narrow blade at 'tother to unscrew the two drain plugs on the Carver water socket. I keep mine in the cutlery draw . . . . because I always used to use a table knife for the job - which does'nt do the plastic drain plugs much good!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A usefully addition is an old tyre inner tube. (I know they are rare these days with tubeless tyres) This can be cut up in a variety of different ways to make a whole range of rubber bands, gaskets, patches for different purposes.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
An assortment of fuses, nuts, bolts, washers and screws. Plus some drill bits a centre punch and a hammer.

I am very grateful to the chap in the caravan nex to mine when we were in Scotland last year. One of the window stops on the quadrant in the car broke, and I was expecting to have to try to get another from a dealer in Scotland, which was not nearby, and until then travel with the window down.

I had a few basic tools with me but this chap had drill bits, nuts and bolts and, by drilling the quadrant and fixing a nut and bolt in it, provided a stop. In addition a year later it is still effective.

So, it is not just the caravan to worry about.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts