Top quality campsite in the Ardeche can anyone help?

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi Folks

Just wandering if anyone had been to a good quality campsite in the Ardeche region of France or nearby. Any help would be greatly appreciated, or any help searching on the internet. I have googled camping in the Ardeche and it brings up many options, but I just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience as I much prefer word of mouth. A family campsite is what we are looking for as we have a 10 year old daughter who loves good facilities. Sorry if this is a big ask but we've been spoilt since visiting Union Lido in Italy (pure heaven).

Many thanks Wendy

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
There are few campsites in the Ardeche/surrounding area like Union Lido - it's more of an 'adventure' area where the sites are places for people to stay whilst doing all the active things around the area - rather than stunning sites in themselves! There are two campsites that I know with a pool complex (slides, waterfalls, etc) - one is Ranc Davaine, and the other is Le Pommier. Ranc Davaine has pitches in woodland, irregular in shape and size, toilet facilities are good and the pools are lovely. There's a good restaurant on site and a take-away plus a shop selling a large range of goods. It's away from any towns or villages of any size - nothing within walking distance. We've been there several times but in LOW season - and I should always emphasise that campsites are completely different places outside peak season. We went once in the peak season and were shocked to find music around the pool, and the pools all heaving - not something we were used to in low season! Haven't been to Le Pommier, but I do know that it is Dutch owned and run, and has a large proportion of Dutch clients.

It's an area we used to visit a lot when our sons were small - and we go back now on our own. We always stayed at L'Ardechois as Vallon Pont d'Arc when we had children/teenagers with us. It's a lovely site, flat pitches, separated with hedges, and with river access from the site (which we wanted) - but it's nothing like Union Lido looks on their website! The pools are 'normal' (no slides, etc), toilet facilities are first class though, and there's a restaurant, take-away and shop on site. You can walk into Vallon from the site.
Try this website to access all the sites in the Ardeche, grouped by region - the Gorges de l'Ardeche are in the southern part.

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi Wendy,
We were in the Ardeche for the first time in August and stayed at Camping les Ranchisses http://www.lesranchisses.fr/ just outside of Largentierre.
The site was nice, with a small river running through it and loads for the kids to do - Pool complex, canoeing pool, crazy golf, table tennis tables, volleyball. Bar, restaurant and well stocked shop on site. Pools were busy on nice days, but there was an "over 16" wellness centre, with it's own pool, jacuzzi, and spa areas, where you can take turns to lose the kids.
Toilets/showers were spotless, pitch sizes were smaller than some that we have used, but probably bigger than normal for the area.

Hi Val,
Thanks for the link you posted.............. I'm off now to explore it further
smiley-cool.gif

Ken.

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Val for the information. I know we wont find anything like Union Lido but we wanted somewhere with a good variety of things to do whilst on site for our 10yr old daughter as well as plenty to do off site (hence picking the Ardeche). We like a site that has a good shop/market on site where we would be able to get good provisions without having to go in search of a supermarket too often. If you know of anywhere else in the southern France region that is good for outdoor activities that would be great.
smiley-smile.gif

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Thanks KnL I'm just about to have a look at the site. What sort of weather did you get in August as we intend to be there in August next year?

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
We went to Les Ranchisse in July, temperature was in the high 20's. Had two thunder storms late evening which went as quick as they came.
Pitches can be smaller then UK sites, worth paying the extra for a super pitch (Carefree brochure).
Facitilies are kept incredibly clean. The swimming pool is to die for! even have an adult only wellness centre and pool. The court yard restaurant is well worth a visit or two as the choice of food is fantastic... from french cusine to pizza all cooked onsite.
Activities for the active is canoeing on the River Ardeche is fun, spoilt for choice on canoe companies there's loads.
Do take the discount card from Les Ranchisse as there is some good savings on attractions...
Hope this helps.
Kev & Max...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts