T'other club.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:
Reactions: Beachball
Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
!!!!

Are you bringing your beers in bottles/cans or cask form @Thingy ? I'm guessing not the latter !!;)
If you are not going to try out West Country beers, why bother to come here ? A sandy beach is a sandy beach wherever it is. Why not take your 4-pack to your own beach (as long as someone can drive you home)? :whistle:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
I have tried em. Thats why Im bringing proper beer to the party.

I can only say pah! to the list of beers you might wish to import to the 5th Nation (although I am quite partial to Wychwood brews) :)
So no no no @Thingy : don't bother to load up the 'van with cans and bottles. Instead just come and enjoy Cornish "Proper Job" or "Tribute" or "Heligan Honey" or "Doom Bar" or, or, or - just too many amazing brews to mention (and we were thinking you would wish to fully contribute to the local economy anyway rather than just drop-by or pass-through with a basketful of provisions from elsewhere !!?? )

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutch and Jcloughie
Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
prefer my lager shandy but i don"t drink much .

"We" do Cornish lagers as well - and some rather nice ones actually - they make a good flavour-some lager shandy (which I am not adverse to imbibing either in careful moments).

Daughter and I did the Skinners brewery tour (in Truro) couple of years ago (pre-covid). We didn't intend to get bladdered, but we were well and truly by the end because a "taster" was nothing less than a pint. All beer and lager "tasters" were a delight.
I believe we just about managed to walk home across Truro w/o embarrassing ourselves (although I seem to recall we were rather jolly and loud as we headed home)!!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Walk across Truro? Did you forget where you parked the tractor?

He he!
I wish I could say that Anika, the tractor, was parked in Tesco's car-park nearby and that I did not receive a parking fine by leaving her there (until sober) because she only has a rear number plate thereby defeating the Tesco car-park camera. That would make the tale slightly funnier, but alas it would not be true. We walked to Skinners and somehow managed to get back home from Skinners by some perambulatory means or another. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Thingy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That stuff called Badger that they brew in Dorset is truely the most terrible beer I have ever had the misfortune of tasting. I had to leave it after a few sips as it was undrinkable!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
"We" do Cornish lagers as well - and some rather nice ones actually - they make a good flavour-some lager shandy (which I am not adverse to imbibing either in careful moments).

Daughter and I did the Skinners brewery tour (in Truro) couple of years ago (pre-covid). We didn't intend to get bladdered, but we were well and truly by the end because a "taster" was nothing less than a pint. All beer and lager "tasters" were a delight.
I believe we just about managed to walk home across Truro w/o embarrassing ourselves (although I seem to recall we were rather jolly and loud as we headed home)!!
If we get to Cornwall i will give the Cornish Lagers a try but can you buy cans x4:)

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
If we get to Cornwall i will give the Cornish Lagers a try but can you buy cans x4:)
Pretty certain that is the case @Beachball and possibly in bottles as well - not 100% certain about latter as I don't tend to buy lagers for home consumption, preferring to buy over a bar when I'm out and fancy something cool, lean and mean on a hot day watching the waves !
Draught Cornish lager now pretty much available in all pubs all across Cornwall.
Breweries - St Austell (I worked there once), Skinners and Sharp's all do lagers. (Obviously I'm going to say they are all good, but they are, and there may well also be micros that I don't yet know about.)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Of course what I should be telling you is that Cornish beer and lager tastes so much better come Sept/Oct cruising towards Christmas and into the New Year. Your enjoyment will also be greatly increased by a more leisurely consumption without hassles/delays at the bar or "bother" in the supermarket as one drifts into the off-season. (Not that there is much of an off-season here anymore !)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
What your man means is that after a summer drinking that stuff, your tastebuds are so assailed that the venom of a Komodo Dragon would seem palatable.

Its infectious too. Its been on the news in Derbyshire that 32 pubs have tested positive for Doom Bar.

Reactions: arob.wk
Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
What your man means is that after a summer drinking that stuff, your tastebuds are so assailed that the venom of a Komodo Dragon would seem palatable.

Its infectious too. Its been on the news in Derbyshire that 32 pubs have tested positive for Doom Bar.
Ho ho

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Pretty certain that is the case @Beachball and possibly in bottles as well - not 100% certain about latter as I don't tend to buy lagers for home consumption, preferring to buy over a bar when I'm out and fancy something cool, lean and mean on a hot day watching the waves !
Draught Cornish lager now pretty much available in all pubs all across Cornwall.
Breweries - St Austell (I worked there once), Skinners and Sharp's all do lagers. (Obviously I'm going to say they are all good, but they are, and there may well also be micros that I don't yet know about.)
We don"t go to pubs very often but if we were having a meal i would order a lager at the bar :)

Jul 15, 2021
Visit site
Unfortunately some of the more popular Cornish brews are, I have been given to understand, also made in other parts of the UK under license. I doubt they have imported Cornish water to make the brew though - Lol ! (However, who's to say whether a different water might not make an even better brew !?)

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Reading this topic makes me think that quite a few people on here should be members of AA rather than CCC or CMHC, I enjoy a beer as much as anyone but my life doesn’t depend on alcohol.

BP

Reactions: Buckman
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Well I thought about AA, but in the end I chose Mayday.

I dont think you will find its as drink orientated as you think, a lot of this is banter, but ask me again when I have sobered up.

BTW, I have only drunk alcohol twice this week, Monday to Friday and again over the weekend.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Reading this topic makes me think that quite a

BP
Reading this topic makes me think that quite a few people on here should be members of AA rather than CCC or CMHC, I enjoy a beer as much as anyone but my life doesn’t depend on alcohol.

BP
A few members from various parts of the country joking with each other as they discuss the merits of local beers doesn't mean that they're alcohol dependent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts