Touareg advice

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi All. I am thinking of buying a VW Touareg R Line. It comes with a powered tailgate. If you opt for the VW factory fit towbar it disables the powered tailgate when the van electrics are connected. Does anyone know whether you can still lift the tailgate manually? It would seem inconvenient if you can't. Does the tailgate usually clear the jockey wheel without problem? Thanks. Iain

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Morning Iain,

Hopefully I can help you with this one....

I had a test drive of a new 64 plate Touareg Rline last wednesday. I used to have the T2 Touareg last year so fancied having a look at a new one. It had the factory fit swivelling tow ball so decided to take the Caravan out of storage using this as a towing test.

Yeah, you're correct. The boot doesn't open electronically whilst the van is connected to the hitch and wiring as the boot could potentially open out onto the jockey wheel winder and or the caravan front locker if it's open. You can however open it manually albeit it's a little heavy as there's quite a bit of weight and resistance. I never had any issues with it being near the jockey handle as it was positioned so that the winder handle was closer to the van front locker.

It was a good tow car for what was a 2 mile journey but I didn't feel as though it had any significant upgrades over my 2008 model apart from it looked and smelled newer. All the internal switchgear was identical to my altitude model and the only difference was that it had a 262ps engine and an 8 speed auto box rather than the 211bhp I had with the 6 speed autobox.

Personally, if it was me, I would buy an approved used Altitude or SE spec car on an 11 or 12 plate with 40k miles and save over 50% on the cost of the new one. The 40k price tag of this demo car put me off as it only had the pan roof and tow bar as optional extras but was identical inside to my 17k 08 model. Also this car had 5K miles but still I only managed to get 22 mpg urban on a short run around town with a light right foot! I guess the engine isn't loose at this mileage but I expected better solo if I'm honest.

Hope that helps!

Chris

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The biggest gain buying a newer car would be the car road fund tax would be half, paying £500 a year is daylight robbery.
I did read somewhere that all it disabled was the internal boot opening?This is in case people have the towball mounted bike racks?
Low mpg is quite normal around town for the big suv's they tend to improve greatly when out on the open road.
They are a much harder ride with the bigger wheels?
As for buying new VW are offering up to £5k off a new one, so that's 10% off list before you even start to negotiate, they say you could get £8k off of list? That makes them extremely good value new?

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
Michael,

If it's the new 3.0TDI Bluemotion with 173 g/km, the tax for the first year is £290.00 and then £205 for 12 months VED which is great for something this big. Yeah, my old T2 was £500 a year, an absolute killer!

The ride on this car I demoed with the 20" wheels wasn't too bad to be totally honest and when towing it really didn't change much either.

My problem with a new one is that according to the dealers I visited, they're only authorised to have 3 order slots a month per franchise for Touaregs and most of those are fully booked with fleet orders. They said if I wanted a new one, I would be looking to have an order placed in May this year for delivery end of August. All of the "new" unregistered in-stock in the UK cars had very basic spec for the 3ltr BMT R-Line cars. No tow prep, no Vienna leather, no pan roof, basic RNS850 etc

When I spec'd up my own car last week it, I came out at 52k and would be paying close to list. I was offered a 5k contribution from VW and a further 5k contribution from Listers themselves. I still think it's a lot if I'm honest, especially when you get in one and it looks dated to begin with.

Chris

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A 3 month waiting list for a specced car is pretty good? One of my co workers has just ordered a Porsche Macan, 20 month waiting list!!!
Maybe have a look at some of good car brokers for quicker delivery?
To be honest to get £10k off a £52k car is pretty damn good?
I don't think they look dated? Just VW

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I've just ordered one with the following spec -
VW Touareg 3.0 R-Line,Reef Blue,21" Mallory Alloy Wheels,Ambient Lighting Pack,Dynamic CDC Air Suspension,Front Climate Seats,Memory Pack,Piano Black Decorative Inserts,Remote Parking Heater with 100 Ltr fuel tank and Heated Windscreen,Vienna Leather upholstery+Titan Black+14 Way Comfort seats,Front and Rear rubber car mats,Rear Chrome Strip,Drivers Assistance pack with ACC,Dynamic light assist,Heat Insulating glass 90% light absorbing B pillar back,Retractable Tow Bar with 13 pin socket,Surround Camera System,CobraTrak Plus Tracking System.
I have to say going from my five year old 2.2 C-Crosser manual to a test drive in Touareg 'beast' was mighty impressive.
Mine will arrive in late May/early June, it cost around 63K retail with all the bits but got them down to just over 53k in the end. Its one hell of a car and supposedly does 42mpg on a long run but I was a little sceptical about that, thank god for the 100 lite fuel tank.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Wow that's a pretty big spec and a hefty price even after discount?
Even before VW's heavy discounting the residuals weren't that great ?
Its frightening to lose £25k in depreciation after 3 years?

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I've bought it on a four year PCP with just short of the maximum permitted deposit.
No mortgage or kids at uni anymore, just thought I'm 57 and "theres no pockets in shrouds"!! :)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Nice one i like your style, i get a pretty good car allowance and have always had my cars on pcp's, i was due to replace a year and half ago, but didn't really like anything else or anything that gave me any different than what i had already that was on the market so paid the final value which worked out 10% below trade. Im still taking my car allowance, but im now office bound so commute on my motorbike so the mileage and running costs are kept to a minimum.

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I picked up two weeks ago a pre registered R line with 50 miles on the clock at a saving of 7 grand, I had an aftermarket towbar fitted, not sure about the tailgate. after one week hooked up the caravan and drove to Spain, got 22 .5 mpg, a little disappointed, no idea what it will do on a run solo because I have not done one.
I bought it because I am changing my caravan for a twin axle Inos by fifth wheel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts