Tour of Spain - Spring 08

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
We have just enjoyed our first extended tour of Spain (2 months). Well, apart from the blizzards, gales, thunderstorms, torrential downpours and freezing temperatures that is! Just goes to show that Spain + Spring does not always = sunshine & warmth. Even last week in Salamanca we were waking up to temperatures of circa 2 deg C.

Anyway, it must have been better than the UK. I have now put some details of the sites used and places visited on my web site at http://www.kdmercer.co.uk/Caravan_Touring.html#Tour_of_Spain_Spring_2008

so if you are so minded, please have a read. Feedback welcomed (either here or by email).

Regards,

Keith (M)

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Keith,

Enjoyed reading your site, found it well set out with sites down one side and picks and narrative down the other. Thanks.

I do have a technical question though. When I edit my holiday videos I would like to add a map, could you tell me how you created yours, also could it be animated?

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Mike B,

Thanks for the feedback - it helps the motivation!

As to the map, I use Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=ml)

then take a snapshot of it in Firefox using a Firefox plug-in. This turns the interactive map into a standard .jpg file, which means my web page loads much more quickly than previously, when I had embedded the Google map.

So, if by "animated", you mean the map can be manipulated (i.e. zoom in, scroll etc), then I assume you would have to capture on video the Google map as you zoom, scroll etc. Not being 'into' videoing, I am probably (certainly!) not the best person to ask. Hopefully others on the forum can be of more assistance.

Regards

Keith (M)

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Keith,

Couldn't find this thread the other day when I looked. Thanks for your reply, I shall write down the heading this time.

I use Firefox, what plug-in do you use and how do you run it? I've never used a plug-in before.

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Mike B,

In Firefox, click on 'Tools' then 'Add-ons'. A new page will open with 2 tabs at the top 'Extensions' and 'Themes'. Make sure you are on Extensions then click on the 'Get Extensions' link in the bottom right corner. The extension you need is called Fireshot. Download and install (should be straightforward). Once installed, right-click on any Firefox page and in the menu that opens you will see two new items:-

Fireshot - take screen shot (visible area)

Fireshot - take screenshot (entire page)

Having done one of the above, you are then given various options such as save, edit etc etc. It is a very useful add-on!

Regards,

Keith (M)

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Keith,

I'm back, nice break, can concentrate on more important things now.

Had a play with fire shot. I can capture visible area and add a red pointy thing, I can high light a rectangle, but can't save just that area, I get all the clutter around the map. Also how do you add your green blobs with the letters? I haven't had a go at drawing a line yet, is it simple? I always have trouble finding out the last little tweaks, not really computer literate. Thanks for your help.

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

With Fireshot, left click on 'capture visible area', then select edit, hold down your right mouse button, drag a square around the area you want then select crop from the menu bar that suddenly appears (not the one across the top).

The lettered blobs on the map are a function of Google Map, which is where the maps are created. Just select your starting point then select route to the next etc (can't remember the actual menu-wording etc, but if I can manage to do it, anyone can!).

Keith (M)

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Keith

Just to say I enjoyed reading about your tours. We're just about to embark on our third month long tour, this time concentrating on the French Alps, down to Provence and possibly the Ardeche. We use Camping Cheques' sites as we're travelling out of season and find them of very good quality, but, if not where we need to be when 'en route' would probably go for a municipal site. Only thing I would suggest to improve your tour info would be to say at the top of each itinerary how long you were away for, rather than at the bottom. Wish we could spend as long as you away from home, but grandchildren have to be looked after.

Happy touring.

Wendy

May 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Keith

Just to say I enjoyed reading about your tours. We're just about to embark on our third month long tour, this time concentrating on the French Alps, down to Provence and possibly the Ardeche. We use Camping Cheques' sites as we're travelling out of season and find them of very good quality, but, if not where we need to be when 'en route' would probably go for a municipal site. Only thing I would suggest to improve your tour info would be to say at the top of each itinerary how long you were away for, rather than at the bottom. Wish we could spend as long as you away from home, but grandchildren have to be looked after.

Happy touring.

Wendy
Forgot to mention, use Camping Cheques principally because they're so much cheaper than many sites.

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the feedback, it is good to know that someone actually reads my scribblings... I'll bear your suggestion in mind for my next report (which will appear in Aug).

Whenever possible, we use the ACSI card, which typically means a site per night price of _14 inc elect.

With regard to grandchildren, we would love to regularly have the opportunity to look after them - but that would mean moving to Oz :(

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Keith,

Thanks for your reply, I'll try it at the week end. It has stopped raining so I'll finish off the last few jobs as we are going this afternoon on our first trip this year to make sure every thing works

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Keith,

Cracked it. As the weather was nice we stayed in Dorset over the week end, walking the range so have only just managed to try the map thing and thanks to your help I can now capture the map I want.

Thanks again Mike.

Jul 9, 2005
Visit site
Hi Keith, just wondering if you can help. We are traveling from Salamanca to Santander/Bibao (Playa Joyel). My map(2006 michelin)shows a new motorway under construction from Palencia going up towards Santander next to N611 and is a lot less miles than going through Burgos. Would you know if this is completed as Google maps etc seem to want to send me this way. cheers doylie.P.S. I once used the N623 Burgos to Santander. beautiful scenery but my caravan brakes did not like the very steep mountain roads.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts