Touring abroad

Oct 2, 2005
Visit site
We love caravanning in Britain but rather apprehensive of going abroad for the first time. I've heard of someone who organizes trips to France for 'newies' but never seen it advertised. Has anyone else heard about them, been with them, and was it worth while?

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
The Caravan Club do organised tours, some of them for beginners but of course you need to be a member to take part. To take a caravan abroad for the first time can be a daunting experience but 'take the bull by the horns' and give it a try. For our first trip abroad, we didn't travel more than 50 miles from Calais - but what a fantastic experience it was.

Go for it!

Jul 10, 2005
Visit site
My Ma & Pa had toured the UK but were a tad fearful of doing it abroard, in 1991 they joined us on our trip to Spain, we were camping they had the caravan, since then they have not stayed away from europe, now retired they go 6 weeks at a time.............. Lucky buggers! If you are a CC member use their overseas sites booking service first time and take it from there.

Oct 2, 2005
Visit site
One of the things that concerns me is the mains power. How do we go on when you plug in 240v caravan equipment when its a lesser power abroad. Being new to it all, I don't want to blow anything.

Jul 10, 2005
Visit site
Blimey if that is your only concern, don't worry; Unless you intend to run everything under the sun on your caravan.

You probably won't need the TV or the heating on, you may have to turn everything off if you have a hi powered domestic kettle or watch what you have on if someone is going to use a hair dryer. Just use a bit of common sense with what you have on, we frequent a campsite in Spain where it is only 5amps, we run the built in caravan fridge, a "Stella Artois" drinks fridge, a 3 way power travel fridge, electric fan, and at night 10m of rope light without any issue, and a daughter with hair straighteners. The only thing that ever pinged it was the use of a domestic 2000w kettle: which was asking for it really.

What I would suggest is that you invest in an adaptor that allows you to connect your blue 3 pin CEE mains cable to a European 2 pin socket, without the need for a re wire.

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
chris , we have run lights , 2 refigerators, fan , radio eletric bbq all at once ,france is to die for, you will never look back also the roads are so much better, we have been twice this year at easter & whisun its easier for us to head to near paris than it is to the west coast as we live by dartford bridge within the m25

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
You're right Chris! The supply is at a lower voltage than in the UK. Instead of being at a nominal 240, it's at 220, but quite often even lower. I've measured it sometimes in Spain and it's been around 200 only. But not to worry. Everything still works - it just takes a bit longer.

Mar 6, 2007
Visit site
You're right Chris! The supply is at a lower voltage than in the UK. Instead of being at a nominal 240, it's at 220, but quite often even lower. I've measured it sometimes in Spain and it's been around 200 only. But not to worry. Everything still works - it just takes a bit longer.
Might i suggest a low wattage kettle is purchased .. 2 mug size.

Caravan shops always have them. Tell the kids they can't come cos the kettles not big enough !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts