Touring in Spain - Any Tips Welcome

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Aware of all the experience forum members have with regards to Spain, including getting there, may I dip into that wealth of knowledge please.
Never taken the van much further into Spain than Saint Feliu de Guixols on the East coast and that was some time ago. Returning through Andorra.

We are planning a Portsmouth Santander crossing going out and return Bilbao Portsmouth with Brittany Ferries. (This fits with our Travel Insurance time limits).

Any hints or tips regarding Brittany Ferries more than welcome. We are intending to check with the Caravan & Motorhome Club for any discounts. Going out we can travel from home to Portsmouth comfortably but returning will be looking for a CL near Portsmouth overnight. Out ferry is 22.30 arriving 08.00 whilst return is 13.00 and Portsmouth 17.30.

The trip will be far shorter than our usual European summer jaunts which is quite appealing. The intention is to pre-book all sites bearing in mind the scarcity of sites in some inland areas of Spain. We are planning to leave England on May 31st. We have visited Spain a number of times but not"under our own steam" and this is a new venture.

Our son works in Barcelona so we are duty bound to include that as part of the trip!

Route is Santander, Burgos, Madrid, Albarracin, Valderrobes, Barcelona, Zaragoze, Pamplona, San Sebastien, Bilbao. (This is not set in stone but gives comfortable drives between stops. The intention is to do our usual thing and "tour" the area around each stop soaking up some sun and Spanish Culture. The Barcelona stop looks like being at Camping Estrella de Mar which is purely chosen for location!

Any and every hint regarding the trip most welcome. I've trawled through related posts here and elsewhere so already coming "up to speed" I hope.

Sincere thanks in anticipation of guidance from "those who know to one who don't".

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The last time we went it was from Plymouth to Santander leaving in early afternoon and arriving back in Plymouth at 5pm. If we went again it would be from Plymouth to Santander, but our return would be to Portsmouth. Wehave also done the trip to Santander, but the return via Milau up to Caen.

From Santander went to Alcossbre via Zaragoza and from there to Roses. We stayed in Alcossbre in the Tropicana campsite right on the beach for 3 weeks. From Roses you can cut across back to Santander again via Zaragozza. On both occasions we stayed over at Zaragozza as camp site is quite acceptable. We were ACSI members so campsites were heavily discounted.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that snacks as well as drinks are included in the Premium Lounge please?

Interested that so far booking direct with Brittany Ferries seems cheaper than using the Caravan and Motorhome Club!

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that snacks as well as drinks are included in the Premium Lounge please?

Interested that so far booking direct with Brittany Ferries seems cheaper than using the Caravan and Motorhome Club!
Drinks and snacks are provided. Tapas, coffee/tea and wine are available during most of the day. The tapas is excellent and very varied and, for us, meant we didn't need to book an evening meal in the main restaurant. Highly recommended!

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Drinks and snacks are provided. Tapas, coffee/tea and wine are available during most of the day. The tapas is excellent and very varied and, for us, meant we didn't need to book an evening meal in the main restaurant. Highly recommended!

There seems to be very little said on the Brittany Ferry site about food on the ferry. My wife found a review by someone who said breakfast used to be included but now no longer. Also read comments suggesting early reservations had breakfast thrown in too! Not at all straightforward.

Thanks very much for the clarification. We have reserved Premium Lounge in both directions and it's highly likely, as you found, that there will be no need to use the restaurant for dinner.

Thanks.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There seems to be very little said on the Brittany Ferry site about food on the ferry. My wife found a review by someone who said breakfast used to be included but now no longer. Also read comments suggesting early reservations had breakfast thrown in too! Not at all straightforward.

Thanks very much for the clarification. We have reserved Premium Lounge in both directions and it's highly likely, as you found, that there will be no need to use the restaurant for dinner.

Thanks.
Not sure but I think that if you were a Club Voyage member, breakfast was included or you got a substantial discount.

The one thing that was outstanding on the ferry was their cakes. Worth the trip just for the cake. LOL!

Reactions: Johnb and PTA

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site

Thanks.
Breakfast was included in Premium lounge last year-pain au chocolat, croissants, cereals etc available with coffee/tea. If you want a "full English" I THINK that's available in the restaurant (chargeable).

Reactions: Johnb
May 3, 2021
Visit site
Albarracin is the most fantastic village in Spain. Whole of the surrounding area is great too.

Zaragoza – you never need to book – it’s a one-night stopover for most people, but in June it’s cool enough to go sight-seeing in the city.

June 24th is a public holiday so that week you may need to book wherever you go.

Pamplona and the area to the south – nothing to write home about.

I recommend Arbizu in the Basque country – beautiful area and 60 minutes to San Sebastian, 45 minutes to Pamplona (if you must!), 75 minutes to Bilbao

Madrid is not my cup of tea but plenty of art galleries. If it’s old architecture you like then Segovia and Salamanca are better.

Jaca and surrounding area in the southern Pyrennees is fantastic.

The Spanish caravan forum is here:

https://www.webcampista.com/foro/forums/foro-campista.27/

The Chrome browser will translate it all into English. Loads of info there.

Enjoy!

Reactions: Hutch and Johnb
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On our first trip to Spain we followed satnav and went via Logrono, Soria and Albarracin instead of via Zaragosa as mentioned however cannot recall much of the village if anything. Looking at Earth Google slightly refreshes my memory. We stooped over at a campsite just outside Logrono.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Albarracin is the most fantastic village in Spain. Whole of the surrounding area is great too.

Zaragoza – you never need to book – it’s a one-night stopover for most people, but in June it’s cool enough to go sight-seeing in the city.

June 24th is a public holiday so that week you may need to book wherever you go.

Pamplona and the area to the south – nothing to write home about.

I recommend Arbizu in the Basque country – beautiful area and 60 minutes to San Sebastian, 45 minutes to Pamplona (if you must!), 75 minutes to Bilbao

Madrid is not my cup of tea but plenty of art galleries. If it’s old architecture you like then Segovia and Salamanca are better.

Jaca and surrounding area in the southern Pyrennees is fantastic.

The Spanish caravan forum is here:

https://www.webcampista.com/foro/forums/foro-campista.27/

The Chrome browser will translate it all into English. Loads of info there.

Enjoy!
Sincere thanks John. Really useful information from someone who knows. Our route is not set in stone - we have our ferry booked but nothing else. It's entirely likely that we may amend at least our stopover times having read your information. Again sincere thanks.
My wife is learning Spanish so I'm sure she will devour the forum you list.

May 3, 2021
Visit site
Sincere thanks John. Really useful information from someone who knows. Our route is not set in stone - we have our ferry booked but nothing else. It's entirely likely that we may amend at least our stopover times having read your information. Again sincere thanks.
My wife is learning Spanish so I'm sure she will devour the forum you list.
De nada
also, you should buy an ACSI card, the ACSI discounts at each site will pay for itself within a week

Reactions: Buckman
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
De nada
also, you should buy an ACSI card, the ACSI discounts at each site will pay for itself within a week
This year's ACSI arrived a few of weeks ago! Was interested to find most sites I looked at were offering ACSI throughout June so, as you say, quite a potential saving.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts