touring prices getting over the top

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi we have quite a few touring hols a year so we go for cheaper sites as we dont want entertainment or childrens faclities been looking and rang a few sites today and most or over £20 just for 2 adults and i small dog a night how much are you prepared to pay for a nights fee what are your views on this

when you visit some sites they are half empty if they did speical offers or reduce there prices they would get more people

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Hi

If you're not fussed about the facilities why not use CL's? There are some excelent ones ( some with toilets and showers if you don't want to use your van bathroom) at reasonable prices.

Jan 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I agree they are getting expensive and they ought to do like the large static sites do and that is let the likes of the Sun Newspaper advertise for them to help fill the sites initially for off peak times but now they are available pretty much all year. There's an idea for Practical Caravan insert the tokens lets get going.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We predominantly use cls and cc sites. Just come back from Low Moor Whitby. Two people, two dogs , large awning, twin axle, a shade over

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I agree with the rising costs on sites, as a young family we take most of our breaks on the weekend or during the school holidays so cant make use of the midweek deals. also a lot of site add the "extras" kids, awning, dogs, as we want to get our kids out of the house and away from the gadgets, we would hate to have to give up this great hobby.

I understand that the sites have overheads and possibly rising costs but i'd like to see a price in the site book and acctualy pay the price it states.

We caravan all year round and hate it that they have peak and off peak prices it costs no more to run the site at different times of the year if they spread the overheads over the period of opening.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately Debbie supply and demand allow the site owners to jack up their prices at peak periods. You could argue the peak rates are their standard rates and the of peak rates reflect discount to encourage us punters outside the core periods.

Our kids have long flown the nest and I have to say we normally avoid going away in July or August.

Overall though we do find the CC and Cl sites good value for money.

Cheers

Alan

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I've just booked a four week tour of Scotland in Jul/Aug - the main site, chosen for it's location, is a staggeringly expensive (for us)

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
I do like it when simple economics are displayed V X P - C = P

Volume X Price - Costs = Profit
Hi Frank,

You know me, Mr. Simplicity.

An undergraduate friend - Andrew - swapped from reading Chemistry to Economics - and after about 6 months came in to our lounge with a bemused look on his face - "what's wrong?" I said - "we're doing straight line graphs, and most of them don't get it!" Oh well, another group of merchant bankers are born...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its not the costs of pitches that worries me , you know well in advance what the costs will be should you wish to use them, its the ever increasing cost of diesel to get to your chosen site.

Living in East Anglia its quite a drag to get over to the west side before heading south, hence we are now using sites a lot nearer home. We live quite close the A120 with links to the M1 A1 which is proving lest costly in MPG.

Royston

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use a mixture of CL's and CC and CCC sites. Caravanning isn't as cheap as I thought it would be when I started five years ago.

If you buy a newish van like we have, insure it, have it serviced etc, then put the over priced fuel in the towing vehicle, add your site fees on top, divide that by 12 months and it's a heck of a lot of dosh.

In the high season, for two weeks, you can be paying over

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts