Touring the Western Isles in 2012 - Anchorage device???

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Hi folks,

Can anyone tell me please if they have or know of a special anchorage device that can be used onsite to battle against high winds?
I will be off to the Western Isles in Scotland next year and according to the back of the caravan club Handbook, it says that a anchorage device should be used. I back this up is I know myself that even in summer it isn't unusual to have hurricane force (and above) winds up there.
Turning the caravan into the headwind may be possible on some areas where there is space but if there isn't then I'm pretty well much stuffed! Plus the fact up there the wind can change direction very quickly indeed!

So, if anyone knows of a anchorage device I'd be most appreciative! Also if anyone has done a trip up there either in a motorcaravan or caravan I'd also like to hear from you:).

Thanks,

Toby.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We had 2 weeks in the Western Isles this May - worst summer weather on record in the area - wind was at near gale all the time and 3 days above gale force, whatever that is - the caravan did bounce around a lot and the site owner at Shellbay parked a coach next to our caravan to act as a windbreak. The problem with anchorage devices is finding the right ground to use them - the Western Isles is predominantly sand and/or peat, ie machair so I doubt any portable ground anchorage would hold. We'd love to go again and wouldn't worry about not having ground anchors!
We used the short crossing from Uig on Skye as it benefits from the very high RET subsidy thanks to the Scottish Parliament - it's a surprisingly long way through Skye and the roads aren't well surfaced. The Skye bridge has been toll-free for some time now. We spent the whole fortnight at Shellbay on Benbecula which is entirely adequate but not pretentious. There's 3 local supermarkets which are reasonably well stocked ONCE you've checked which days they get deliveries as they're dependent on the ferries. Food and fuel prices are typical rural levels but not as high as mainland Western Scotland! The Dark Island Hotel does excellent value bar meals at lunchtimes as does the Am Politician on Eriskay (from Whisky Galore fame).
We explored the whole of Berneray, North Uist, Benbecula, South Uist and Eriskay as they're all connected by causeway but omitted Lewis/Harris and Barra completely. The white sand beaches and crystal clear water just take your breathe away, as good as the Caribbean but not as warm. Most of the roads are single track but traffic is light, passing places are plentiful and the people very laid back.
There are places to wild camp if that's your aim and the Tourist Information offices at the ferry ports have leaflets on where toilets can be emptied as well as water obtained and waste disposed of. Some of the showers at ferry ports are free and better kept than many campsites. From your signature though, I'm not sure that an Alfa's ground clearance would cope with some of the wild camping access routes.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I went for six weeks last year. Rain , rain rain and wind. Tour the Highlands and Sutherland instead. There really isn't that much to enjoy imo. The best bit was the ship back from Stornoway to Ullapool.
OK. If you must be a masochist, pitch up so the nose or tail of your unit is into the wind. Try and put the car infront to break up the wind strike.. Take down any awnings. SWMBO didn't sleep well thinking we'd be blown over. The truth is no one has been blown over for years. It did happen once many many years ago at Ardmair Point Ullapool but caravans were more flimsy then.

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Thanks Roger! I have done a lot of research on the Outer Hebredes over the years and I regularly visit the upper reaches of Scotland once or twice a year so I'm not totally green to the idea of going up there:).
I've island discovered (and hoped) vertually all of the islands in Scotland now with the caravan leaving just the Western Isles and Shetland/Orkney to do!
I have also watched Monty Hall's programmes and An Island Parish so I know it does look beautiful and I'm really looking forward to it!
I watched the weather throughout the summer up there and noticed it had a been a pretty dismal summer throughout which was a shame but conversly, the year before they had more sun and warmth up there that anywhere else in the UK - I'm not put off what the weather has to throw at me - you can go anywhere in the UK and it could be gorgeous warm wall to wall sunshine or chucking it down for weeks!
I'm expecting to wild camp a few times for sure as there are not any established campsites on some islands. With respect to ground clearence - well the Alfa isn't too low but are the places to wild camp consisting of roads full of brick sized rocks? The 147 I had before the 159 was very low but this one isn't too bad.
I'm looking at going from Oban to Castlebay and island hopping for 3 weeks up to Lewis and back on the ferry from Stornaway to Ullapool.
As for a lack of things to do - well that could be a problem if the weathers bad for sure but if its nice I make my own activities by Moutain biking it or hiking it!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Toby - the wild camping spots aren't disimilar to the North-West Highlands but with hills rather than mountains - the track surfaces are very variable - not many loose rocks but can be rutted - I bottomed-out my Santa Fe a few times and it's got 200mm ground clearance - when you find somewhere promising get the bike out and check it out first.
There are camp sites on all the island groups but some don't do directory or internet advertising, just a sign by the side of the road but most don't have electrics - I don't know about sites on Barra - Eriskay didn't seem to have any organised sites - South Uist has no sites with electric - Shellbay on Benbecula and Moorcroft on North Uist have toilets/showers and electric - Berneray has no organised sites but looks good for wild camping - Lewis/Harris has some bigger campsites.
The MoD missile firing range is still active on South Uist and can affect the footpath/cycleway down it's west side so best to check the firing periods beforehand.
We've also done Shetland in 2000 and want to go back there as it's so different to other Scottish islands.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Toby - I was checking out some other information today and discovered that the RET ferry tariffs currently end in Spring 2012, ie the end of the current winter timetable/fares structure. The Scottish Parliament will then consider whether the experiment has been successful economically and decide whether to introduce RET tariffs on all ferry routes (or not!).
It may change at short notice but next year's Western Isles ferry fares could be double this years fares, around £750 for Calmac Hopscotch No 8 Oban - Barra - South Uist/Benbecula/North Uist - Harris/Lewis - Ullapool rather than the £383 this year for car, caravan and two adults.
Glad I went this year !!

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
We had what I believe were 63mph gales on Mull this year without a problem. We were facing the wind however. I kept thinking that it was only the same forces as driving down the M6. My main worry was the noise from the omni vent cover in the roof which sounded as though it wanted to depart into the loch. But again no different to 60mph on the M6.
We did give up this year trying to get an awning up and safe. The ground is often peat, which pegs will not hold in, or, as we have on Mull, what is like bed rock compacted gravel (I'm no geologist) with thin grass growing in it. You can hammer pegs in and they seem very tight, but the vibration of the wind eases them out leaving the gravel loose.
On a winter holiday on Mull a couple of years ago, we visited the site we use and a van had been abandened on the site right by the sea loch side. This did not blow over thoughout the winters gales, but eventually a door was blown off (someone my have tried to enter the van) and then the wind got into the van and blew some of the windows out.
So, put up with the wind, and rain and midges and cool temperatures and keep visiting NW Scotland like we go. I do remember this year saying to my wife a few times "Benidorm next year!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts