Tow Ball Lubrication?

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
I have just collected my first caravan a Bailey 510/4 . It is fitted with an antisnake hitch. The tow ball has a black coating on it. The coating has worn off in places. Do I need to use some sort of lubricant on the ball or hitch

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
mrw5646 said:
I have just collected my first caravan a Bailey 510/4 . It is fitted with an antisnake hitch. The tow ball has a black coating on it. The coating has worn off in places. Do I need to use some sort of lubricant on the ball or hitch

If you have a friction hitch then NO lubricant, else it defeats the object of having friction. The black paint on the hitch should have been thoroughly cleaned off before use, as the missing paint has now contaminated the friction pads. The pads now need to be cleaned with emery paper and cleaned with brake fluid, as does the hitch.

PS - the hitch is not 'antisnake', it will not prevent snaking under certain circumstances. It only helps to minimise snaking on a well balanced and loaded van.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
mrw5646 said:

If you have a friction hitch then NO lubricant, else it defeats the object of having friction. The black paint on the hitch should have been thoroughly cleaned off before use, as the missing paint has now contaminated the friction pads. The pads now need to be cleaned with emery paper and cleaned with brake fluid, as does the hitch.

PS - the hitch is not 'antisnake', it will not prevent snaking under certain circumstances. It only helps to minimise snaking on a well balanced and loaded van.

Sir WC
Did you mean to write 'the pads should be cleaned with brake cleaner'?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts