Tow ball protection

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Tow bar fitted to my new motor (to me) and I've cleaned the tow ball.

Do you, when you have returned from a trip, leave it to start to rust, then clean it just before your next trip?

Put a coating on it that keeps it clean, and is easily cleaned off with brake cleaner?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Grease it then clean thoroughly before the next trip. A can of carburettor cleaner works a treat. Fortunately my Volvo tow bar is some sort of stainless steel and doesn’t rust.

Reactions: DaveA1
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Put it away in its compartment in the boot.
It doesn't rust there
Rub it with an abrasive pad and clean with brake cleaner, job done.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fixed towball I used to put a cap over it then clean with nylon abrasive pan cleaner and brake/clutch cleaner before hitching up. Never felt that it required rust protection.

Detachable clean before removing. Stow in boot. Clean after reinstalling.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Don't use lubricant if you have an Alko stabiliser hitch. These have "brake pads" inside to prevent snaking... I use an Alko Cap on my retractable...

Like this:
Link

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Fixed Tow ball, just a wipe with a dry cloth, and fit a rubberised cover, never had a problem with rusting.
A spray with brake fluid cleaner and a wipe before hitching up.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Don't grease it as previously suggested for the reasons given later.
A cheap plastic cap, and a nylon abrasive pad prior to use, sorted!

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Keep a can of spray brake cleaner in my van as even with a protective cover the ball does get some surface rust. A quick spray and wipe with kitchen towel usually does the job before hitching up. Having replaced the hitch pads recently this prevents rust off the ball ‘clogging’ the surfaces.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Tow ball materials vary, I had a Mercedes with a factory fitted tow bar and that used to rust very quickly! My current Volvo tow bar (and a previous BMW tow bar) appeared to be some sort of stainless and never rusted.

Grease is by far the best water proofer BUT needs cleaning completely before using a friction-style hitch. As I tow a trailer as well I have to use grease on the ball for that so no hardship for me.

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
I might be weird, but I have found that a balloon stretched over the ball works best for my retractable tow bar. Even with a 'proper' cap moisture and muck got in because the ball retracts sideways. The balloon offers full protection at any angle.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I give mine a spray with silicone and clean with brake cleaner before use.
The whole lot including electrics retracts up into the bumper but it locks sideways on so all a cover does is collect water.
Shame really because in all other ways it is ideal.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
I might be weird, but I have found that a balloon stretched over the ball works best for my retractable tow bar. Even with a 'proper' cap moisture and muck got in because the ball retracts sideways. The balloon offers full protection at any angle.
Just seen this Milkfloat what a good idea

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
One of the problems with some retractable towbars is that when it's retracted the ball ends up upside down and if a conventional cap is fitted it ends up holding water. The one on the Mercedes I used to have had a cap with slots in it to let water out but the ball still ended up looking like it'd been dredged up from the bottom of the ocean unless it was greased!

As I said before, the one on my Volvo appears to be some sort of stainless steel and after 2 years still looks nice & shiny but gets grease on it as I also use the car for towing trailers.

D

Deleted member 23278

I find the AL-KO tow-ball cover to be the tightest fitting of the proprietary one's.

IMG_2918.jpeg
Mine stows upright and seems to be well protected from spray (as was the case on my previous Jag).

IMG_2919.jpeg
This is after two weeks but, from past experience of very similar installations, I'd expect it to look much the same after two months.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts