Tow Car Awards 2016 preview

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
II'd like to see more about the auto versions of the cars.

Many of us no longer in the first flush of youth now choose auto over manual as making motoring much easier, and this particularly applies for those less experienced at towing.

In a crowded traffic situation say in a series of roundabouts the auto box is a great help and well worth the small extra purchase and running costs.

Some with a Sport setting or Tiptronic etc are also ideal in mountain situations both climbing and descending.

So how about it ?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When we bought our Santa fe, I was going for the Manual as it could tow 2500 kg as opposed to 2000 for auto. Putting the van away that weekend reversing into the storage, I thought do I really want to be doing this with a manual, NO, So changed the order to the auto, another £1726. But worth it, IMO.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
As I have no choice but to drive with hand controls I have to go down the auto route regardless of preference, I agree more of these versions would be helpful.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With the current trend for better economy and lower emissions, car manufacturers are looking for ways to keep the engine operating in a narrow range of rpm for efficiency and emissions. THis is the prime reason for the latest models to 7 8 or even 9 forward ratio's.

This almost doubles the number of gear changes a driver is required to make to keep the engine in its prefered operations window. When this is implemented in a manual box it requires the driver to more aware of the engines rpm. Every time you make a ratio change there is dip in power delivery to the wheels whilst the clutch is disengaged, gear changed and the clutch is reengaged.

The additional attention the driver must give to the engine speed and gear changes means there are more drops in attention to the driving conditions around them. Even the best skilled driver cannot match the gear change speed of a modern auto box.

Also being a manual, means the car manufacturer cannot control the car's emissions as effectively, as the driver may not keep the engine in its optimum operating range.

I think it's likely that with ever tighter emissions requirements being introduced, that car manufacturers will be looking to multi ratio automatic gearboxes or CVT's to keep the car's engine operating in its optimum range.

There is also of course the growth of the hybrid technologies, and some of the current models have no mechanical multi-ratio gearboxes but rely on electric motors and batteries which are charged by a limited speed IC engine.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
To , walking the dogs,I saw my first Bentley 4x4 coming from Woburn to Woburn Sands, but sadley no Tow bar, that I could see. But hopefully fully hidden. Lovely car in Bronze. I wonder which Caravan the owner would go for. ?

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
To , walking the dogs,I saw my first Bentley 4x4 coming from Woburn to Woburn Sands, but sadley no Tow bar, that I could see. But hopefully fully hidden. Lovely car in Bronze. I wonder which Caravan the owner would go for. ?

Quite a tacky car so probably an Airstream. Hopefully they wouldn't put a Vanmaster behind it. I'd hate to see one of those with such a car in front. :blink:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Martin , have you on the green goggles, its a lovely car, way out of my range, unless SWMBO, lets me have some , finances, but I would spend it om a moterbike, I know a lot of people like Airstreams but the quality of riveting, in my opinion, as an Aircraft Engineer is terrible. I would have thought a Bessaecar. . Lovely car all the same. To look at. And sounds great.
Oh Dreams eh.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
No Hutch, not green goggles just impeccable good taste. As far as Beseccar go, a lovely van until Swift got their hands on it. :whistle:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts