tow car weight

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi.We have been towing for last two years,we tow with a peugeot 406

saloon,3 litre and tow a sterling europe 500,when we brought the caravan we knew we would have to be careful with weights as it is a good match but we could probably do with a heavier tow car.My problem? well before the caravan we had a tent, we would have the roof box and the boot full and I always took enough food to cover the first few days because I hate shopping!when we got the caravan hubby would say,you can't take all the food,you can't take all those tins etc etc.Well I think we have now come to some agreement over what I can now safely take. However yesterday my son(16) asked if his friend could come away with us,my husband said that yes he could but he would have to set up and then come

back and fetch him as there would be to much weight in the back

of the car!He was serious! but it really is taking the weight issue to FAR.isn't it???

Catherine

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Without knowing the actual figures for the permissible rear axle load of the Peugeot and how much other luggeage you're going to take, it's difficult to say whether this is a case of justifiable concern or just an excuse on behalf of your husband. Of course, when towing, the noseweight of the caravan is going to reduce the available payload in the car by the same amount but I don't know how close you'd be to the limit anyway so it's impossible make a statement whether taking another passenger is the last straw that's going to break the camel's back.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks Lutz,you mean he could be right!actually its only a week end

away.so all the caravan bits plus awning will be in the van.all that will be in car will be the clothes and the bar-b que,and some food.

Catherine

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As I said, I don't know what the manufacturer's spec is for rear axle load. Generally, the permissble payload for the average medium sized saloon car like the Peugeot 406 is around 450kg. When towing with a noseweight of 75kg, this would leave 375kg for all luggage and passengers excluding the driver (who's already included in the kerbweight). Assuming you've got 3 passengers of around 75kg (the standard figure that car manufacturers use), that leaves 150kg for clothes, bbq and food. Sounds pretty realistic to me but these are all only guestimated figures that I have been using.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts