Mar 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi

We are complete newbies to this and are looking at buying probably the Swift challenger at 1500 kgs but we need to source a towcar. There is only two of us so we don't need a huge 4x4 or mpv but we considered the XC90 diesel or possibly the petrol and put a lpg conversion on it, any ideas.

Our price range for a towcar is around 16k and we don't want the "mondeo " type car.

J

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jenny.

Just to say that as a general rule diesels are preferred for towing. My main piece of advice however is to do plenty of research about what you need rather than what others prefer. How much towing are you likely to be doing etc. What are your rqirements when not towing. You will find most of us end up having to make an 'on balance' decision. If in doubt on the vexed issue of Kerb weights etc can I urge you to err on the side of safety. I use a Ford Galaxy for flexibility in use the rest of the year whilst giving me a good kerb weight others prefer 4x4s or large estates.

Happy hunting and don't be in a panic.

Rob

Jan 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jenny

have a look at Nissan's X-Trail; not as big as some 4x4s, and quite car-like to drive. New model out now, so look for 2nd hand 2.2 diesel. Kerb weight around 1640kg (inc towbar & fuel). Or what about VW Passat Sport 4-Motion - similar weight/performance, better mpg solo than X-Trail, but towing grunt slightly better in X-Trail (we had X-Trail, now have Passat 4-Motion, both used to tow Bailey Senator Indiana with MTPLM of 1500kg). 4-Motion is heavier than non-4 wheel drive version, but not as many around as an X-Trail.

Good luck !

Ann & John

Ann & John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts