Tow Hitch Lock

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

My caravan handbook implies that my AL-KO Safety Device (Part No. 1385810) can remain fitted to my AKS 2004 hitch whilst towing my caravan.

A chance remark at the dealership the other day suggested that it was illegal to tow with the hitch lock fitted.

Can anyone clarify the situation please.

Yours sincerely

Joyce Maddocks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Joyce - I'm pretty sure this is correct, as if the worst should happen and your outfit has an accident, then the Emergency services cannot easily seperate the car from the van, which could make recovery/clearance of the damaged vehicles impossible or far more difficult. We just put it on when parked up at MSA's etc., then remove it when we set off. It only takes a couple of minutes. Mind you if there is a determined thief about, he'll nick your van anyway complete with the hitchlock in place!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know a few people who tow with the hitchlock in place, as to whether it is legal or not I dont know. Personally I wouldnt. Interesting question though.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I tow my van locked to the car. I have a paddlock through the hitch mechanism, to stop it opening up should it malfunction. I'm sure all fire engines carry bolt croppers and would be able to cut it off in seconds, but it does give the visual eye opener to the casual thief.

I know of someone having their boat un-hooked on a motorway services, transfered to the thiefs car. He then towed it to Devon and sold it to a boat yard for cash the same day.

I for one will always try to look after my gear, but all the law can do is issue a crime number. Not much help if you're un-insured!!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
To my knowledge it is not illegal to tow with a hitchlock in place although personally I wouldn't.

If you are going to drive with it attached, it is, however, vital that the hitchlock is of a type that cannot possibly interfere with the operation of the overrun brake.

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, Lutz, Steve in Leo, Daventura & Mike

Many thanks for your comments on this subject. I have also asked the NTTA for a reply along with AL-KO themselves, alas to date no replies.

The hitch lock when fitted does not to my knowledge interfere with the over run brake cable on my current caravan. My new rig (from next month) I am not sure of as it will have a different standard of AL-KO hitch, therefore maybe a different hitch lock.

Many thanks

Joyce

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

Today I received replies from AL-KO via the NTTA which I have reproduced below.

Joyce

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Joyce

Sorry for the delay but since Al-Ko are one of our members I wanted to get their position on this.

I hope that this helps

Regards

David Millington

Executive Administrator, NTTA

Dear David,

Further to your email concerning the enquiry from Joyce, dated 26th September.

I can confirm that there is no legislation that restricts the use of our Safety Covers in a touring condition.

We are aware that some of the Emergency Services are concerned, that if any locking device is fitted, it could possibly hinder an accident recovery on the Motorway.

Regards

Alan Sanders

Service Manager

Hi, all'

As a retired Firefighter with 26 years experience, I never tow with Car and caravan locked together. My latest 'Van has the 2004 stabalizer and I have the Safety Hitchlock supplied by Alko, which they say is o.k. to use whilst towing. This is true in the sense that it does not interfere with the overrun Braking or articulation. What it does interfere with, by design is preventing anyone including the owner from disconnecting Car from 'Van in a hurry!! Modern Fire Appliances carry a whole manner of gear, mainly designed for rescueing people from Road Accidents.

However none of this would quickly remove a Hitchlock. I agree that Bolt croppers would cut a chain or padlock but hitchlocks no. Also bear in mind that in an emergency you might want to seperate the unit immediately, before any help had even been mobilised. Consider this, what seems an easy task ie. Unlocking the Hitchlock in the calm controlled environment of Home or a campsite, might take on a completely different aspect if say the caravan was on fire, and clearly, easy disconnection would at least save your Car. Add to this the panic, fumbling for keys, maybe in the dark. Also consider that in the event of injury you may be off to Hospital ( Keys in Pocket) leaving the Emergency services stuck, with Car and 'van. That they can't recover.For me the safest way of using any locking device is to fit when required ie. stops at services or when pitched. Finally I know the above might frighten or give people concern. Statistics show that whilst towing you are at less risk from accident than when solo. Enjoy.

Eddie.

TRENDING THREADS