Tow weight advice please

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi all

Thinking of taking the plunge into caravanning( camping is slowly losing its appeal in this weather ), and I'd like some advice on outfit matching if you wouldnt mind.

The car I have ia a 05 Reg Ford Focus estate 1.6 TDCI and the caravan I'm interested in is a Bailey Ranger GT60 460/2.

Kerbweight of car in handbook is 1391kg, and MIRO for van is 1002, MTPLM 1177.

Using outfit matching websites all seems ok, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or advice they could offer on this potential setup.

Many thanks in advance

Phil

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Houndlegs,

The chances are it will be satisfactory.

But there is a significant amount of activity at the moment on this forum concerning the use of third party web sites for acquiring outfit recommendations.

The difficulty arises because the information the web sites have about some vehicles and caravans is inaccurate. Consequently any calculations based on inaccurate inputs will give in accurate outputs. The problem for the user is they do not know which information may be corrupt.

The same applies to the phone lines offering a similar service.

The typical and frequent inaccuracies is the kerb weight figure. Even manufactures brochures do not quote exact figures. It is usually different to the general brochure figures because of the extra bits of equipment that are added as manufacturer options and dealer fit bits and pieces.

The only authoritative source, are the Vin plates and registration documents for cars, or the manufacturer direct.

The calculations are not difficult, but you need to know what information is needed, and there is not universally standardised system for describing all the different weights and limits. - so it can be confusing.

The other aspect to many of these sites, is that they major on the towing weight ratio. Whilst this is important, and it can have some legal implications, it is only one of several characteristics of towing that can have a major influence on the tow-ability of an outfit.

Bearing in mind what I have just written, on the face of it you seem to have a reasonable match at about 85% but it is close to the Focus's 1200Kg towed limit.

What I can't tell you is how it will tow. That is down to more than just the theoretical ratio, other factors such as nose load, and weight distribution within the car and caravan. The condition of the running gear, and probably the biggest influence is the driver and how the try to drive the outfit. This list is not exhaustive.

The moral is do not exclusively trust web sites to give accurate information. As the driver, you are legally responsible to check everything is road legal before you drive.

TRENDING THREADS