Tow Weight

May 10, 2015
Visit site
I have just bought an Avondale Ulysses Peryl 1996 5 berth caravan and need to know what vehicle would I need to have to tow this caravan. The empty weight is 1100kg. Can anyone help, thanks Sharon.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sharon,

The more important figure is the maximum weight or MTPLM. If you furnish us with that we can be of more help. Whilst you may not understand its importance it would also help to know when the driver(s) passed their test as that will affect the size of vehicle you can use.

May 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi John

Thanks for replying. I have copied come important details of the caravan below. Both drivers have also driven for over 20 years.

Year - 1996
5 berth
Single axle
Mass in Running Order (Kg) - 849
Maximum Allowable/Authorised Weight (Kg) - 1100
Internal Length (metres) - 4.98
Shipping Length (metres) - 6.32
Width (metres) - 2.13
Awning Size (cm) - 890

This is my first caravan and not sure what vehicle to buy to tow it.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
With a max van weight of 1100 kg then you are looking for a car of kerb weight approx 1300 kg, using the recommendation of 85% towed weight for an inexperienced tower. You don't say whether you will be buying a new or used car, but a modern Astra or Focus or similar would be about 1300 kg, depending on model.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sharon,

Your first post was a little misleading as you stated the caravan empty was 1100, you now tell is that is the maximum permissible weight or MPTLM.

As you have both been driving for over 20 years, then you will have a licence which allows you to tow any possible legal combination, so no worries there. (Cat BE)

It is always the best idea to keep the weight of the caravan as small as possible, but in your case you already have the caravan with an MTPLM of 1100kg. The industry recommends as a novice you choose an outfit where the caravan is no more than 85% of the unladen weight of the car. Based on that advice you need to be looking for a car with an unladen weight of 1294kg or more.

There are many cars that will suit that. In a couple of weeks PC will be publishing their tow car of the year, You may find a suitable vehicle there, but don't be blinkered by their choice as its what's right for you that counts.

Do bear in mind that most caravanners do far more miles without the caravan, so make sure its right comfortable and economical for your day to day usage.

Just as a broad suggestion, most of the typical family saloons/estates will manage your caravan, but if you are looking for a little more space them do consider some of the MPVs.

You would have no problems weight wise with a 4x4, but do try before you buy, as the handling of some of the larger vehicles may not suit you.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
just as an aside, the van you have is roughly the same size as mine was, which I towed with a Meriva 1.7 cdti the uladen weight is 1412kg and has a tow load limit of 1200kg which meant at the maximum it was a 74% match. this gives some idea of the size of car you could use WC gave you two more all about the same weight size and all capable of towing a light van.
good hunting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts