Towball Bolts

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Took my new towball off to clean the paint off
Can I put the bolts with the nuts facing outwards?
As when putting on in the normal way the socket to the torque wrench wont go on!
I know the bolts will stick out a bit
Or is there another way around it?

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
When I got my towbar fitted by the dealer 4 1/2 years ago, it came with a standard flange ball. When I changed it to an Alko ball, I had to do the same thing, as the only way to torque it up correctly would have been to take the full towbar off. There wasn't enough clearance to do it any other way.

Jim

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Two points.

Torque is 225 newtons.

From an engineering point of view what is the difference which way round? In the traditional position why can't the torque wrench be fitted on the bolt rather than the nut?
I was just thinking most cylinder heads are fastened with bolts not nuts.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I was under the impression that you should replace the bolts if you have slackened them off for whatever reason. I was told that when I swopped my towball.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Two points.

Torque is 225 newtons.

From an engineering point of view what is the difference which way round? In the traditional position why can't the torque wrench be fitted on the bolt rather than the nut?
I was just thinking most cylinder heads are fastened with bolts not nuts.

Here in lies another question, read yesterday that witter quote 214 and Alko quote 218, I have the witter tow bar.

And dont quote me as I dont know but thought cylinder heads dont have nuts the bolts are threaded into the block?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Kev

most diy torque wrenches don't reach the newtons mentioned.
BMC A and B series engines used nuts.
my question is why are some saying the torque wrench can only be used on a nut , not a bolt?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Kev
http://www.practicalcaravan.com/media/kunena/emoticons/unsure.png
most diy torque wrenches don't reach the newtons mentioned.
BMC A and B series engines used nuts.
my question is why are some saying the torque wrench can only be used on a nut , not a bolt?

Hi Dusty,

Told you I didnt know :whistle:
Torque wrench I have will take me to 220 so if it is 225 then I 'm in limbo. :unsure:

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi Kev,
it's simple, 218 Nm equates to about 160 lbs/ft in old money or 80lb per 2ft (bear with me) a person who weighs (12and a half stone) , ( I did) standing on a 2ft bar will be near enough the correct torque, done up my towball bolts this method for over 40 years and never lost or broke one.

ps, before any of the engineering boffs jump in, the accuracy of a standard DIY wrench (non precision calibrated engineering tool) could be as much as - or + 10% anyway so when I say near enough I mean just that.

pps. it matters little wether you torque up the bolt or the nut as long as the shaft of the bolt does not bind the sides of the hole (as in the case of head bolts or any other casing bolts one might have to set to the proper torque.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
pps. it matters little wether you torque up the bolt or the nut as long as the shaft of the bolt does not bind the sides of the hole (as in the case of head bolts or any other casing bolts one might have to set to the proper torque.

I was about to post that very same point. It can also be affected if washers are used or not.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing about what type bolt? towball bolts always used to be 8.8 which requires 143ft lb's and equates to 194Nm torque, sounds then to me as 218-225 is a 10.9 bolt? and for whatever reason that might be needed?!!
So what is this number? well it's a standard maximum suggest torque which was until recently based on 60% of a given size bolts true maximum, it's now been increased to 75%. Two things from that, one, it is not a rigid requirement, second, it does not then automatically follow that a little less, or indeed, a little more, would cause the joint to come loose or weaken the bolt. A single 8.8 bolt at it's max torque is applying 7 tons of clamping pressure, ditto 10.9 it's 10tons!

It is though best practice to use these recommend maximums on dry free running threads, for the same reason, by the torque wrench being used on the nut, this removes any reduction in torque applied from the friction induced by the bolt shank being tight in the hole and rubbing on the walls as it turns.

So applying all that to a pair of M16 nuts and bolts holding a towball on, little of it counts!
That's as long as your reasonably close. So put the wrench on the bolt head because there is no sensible other way and if your torque wrench only goes to 220 and assuming it's not even accurate! then that's still more than close enough.

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi in relation to re-fitting. I was told by witter when I had a previous tow bar fitted then afterwards returned for a bumper protection plate to be fitted, "Once the bolts are removed they have to be replaced."

They stated for future ref I should never re use the same bolt once they have been torqued properly.

If the ball is ever removed again, fit a new set of bolts each time.

I cant explain why as im not technically minded, but I for one would not use the same and would buy a new set before refitting to the car. perhaps better play safe than sorry.

Hope this helps
Cheers
John

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi John,
the reason the recommendation that bolts should not be reused is because the act of tightening them stretches the bolt while there is a certain elasticity in the steel a bolt that has been done up for a while will have a permanent set and therefore remain stretched this however depends on the material the bolts are made from for instance high tensile bolts used on cylinder heads can be reused but a mild steel bolt on a towbar should not.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies folks,
So even though the bolts are new, never been used to tow and only 3 weeks old I have decided to get new ones today, ready for the off tomorrow, I will also put them on the "right way" and Torque the bolt to 220kn.
But will also ask the questions in the tow bar fitting garage when i get the bolts.
Cheers All.

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
If I remember correctly from my aircraft eng days there is a calculation to be done to adjust the torque when applying the force to the bolt rather than the nut - more torque req.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts