Apr 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Im about to use my Caravan for the first time since September. My Tow Ball is slightly rusty. Can anybody advise me on the best way to get rid of the rust and, if any, what i ned to grease it with. Ive heard thatrubbing it down with sand paper and wiping white spirit over it may help.

Thanks

Paul

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul, to get rid of the rust, use either sandpaper, or Emery paper, medium grade, or a scothbite nylon pad.

then clean with white spirit, or brake cleaner.

If you have an AlKo 2004 type hitch, or one with the friction pads in the coupling head, then no grease is to be used , or it will contaminate the friction pads.

If you have a basic coupling , then copperslip or vaseline is good enough to lubricate the ball

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Paul,

If you have a stabiliser fitted to your caravan / trailer /whatever - these have a clamping action to grip the tow-ball - then the tow-ball must never be greased or oiled.

That would be like applying grease to your car brakes - they won't work afterwards.

The recommendation is to wipe the tow-ball with a clean cloth - a thin layer of rust should just come off in the cloth. And a very little bit of rust on the tow-ball won't hurt the brake-pads in the stabiliser.

If it's moderately rusty, then a kitchen scouring pad (one of those green plastic things) will clean the rust and a final wipe with a cloth will do.

If it's very rusty, then fine wet and dry paper would be best.

If the tow-ball is contaminated with oil - then white spirit or meths or brake cleaner can be used to clean the oil from the tow-ball.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts