Towbar cycle racks

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
I'm looking for a towbar cycle rack as just bought a Sorento and its a bit too high to lift bikes onto the roof rack.

Witter make one as do Halfords, but I'm not sure which one is better.

The Halfords model seems to be able to be tilted down for access into the boot, but the Witter model looks a bit sturdier.

Also would either of them require the electric sockets moved, at the moment they are on the left of the towball.

Thanks

Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
Hello Alan, I have got the halfords bike rack on my car. only used it a few times but seems up to now. The only thing i had to do was replace the twin electrics bracket with two single ones using just the end hole instead of both so they poke out either side of the bracket for the bike rack. It woks fine though. Couple of things to remember, 1 The weight of the bike and the rack will take away from your nose weight when you have your caravan hitched up 2 You will lose a bit of wour turning circle when you are hitched up, you dont want to dent your caravan good luck sean

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

We've got a Thule one, easily attaches to the tow bracket and very easy to remove, holds 4 bikes. But we have to recalculate regarding the nose weight!

Check out the web site.

Always liked their roof racks too.

Gail

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I have a Maxxraxx bike rack. Well almost! The 'foot' which goes on the towbar flange was 'traded in' with the car!

If anyone has a spare Alko Right foot let me know 07787734511. Could swap a spare upright support I have, for it.

Jun 15, 2008
Visit site
hi Alan

i too am looking for a towbar mounted rack and also for the sorento. The sorento is definately to high for roof mounted. i think it is worth while having a rack that tilts to enable access to the rear whilst towing. i have narrowed my search down to 2. Thule bolt on 9705 or the maxxraxx. there is a big price difference thule

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alan,

I know that the Sorento has a very generous nose load allowance, but don't forget that any thingthat sits on teh tow hitch, eats up the nose laod allowance.

Don't forget to add the weight of the carrier and the bikes to the nose load of the caravan, and make sure you are still within the capacity of the tow ball.

ballto allow for teh weight of the cycles adn the rack

Feb 6, 2007
Visit site
I have a Maxxraxx and have used it whilst towing a Swift 590 with a Discovery 1. The one problem I have found is that the clearance is very close due to UK vans having shorter drawbars (check Maxxraxx website for clearance chart) and the problem can be made worse by modern mountain bikes having sloping top tubes!! All in all I am pleased with it and would recomend it on my personal experiences.

Regards AB

FTAO Silly Billy, if you go to the website you can purchase the mounting foot seperately

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I have a Maxxraxx and have used it whilst towing a Swift 590 with a Discovery 1. The one problem I have found is that the clearance is very close due to UK vans having shorter drawbars (check Maxxraxx website for clearance chart) and the problem can be made worse by modern mountain bikes having sloping top tubes!! All in all I am pleased with it and would recomend it on my personal experiences.

Regards AB

FTAO Silly Billy, if you go to the website you can purchase the mounting foot seperately
Hi Artfulbodger

I did know of these but paying

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts