towbar height

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi any one out there help me with this one? I've just purchased a nissan X-trail and had a tow bar fitted. I felt the tow ball loked a bit high so I measured it at 480mm from centre of ball to floor, all the info I can find states the figure should be between 350 amd 420mm. the car has about half a tank of fuel. any other x-trail tuggers out there with a similar tow ball height. it's a witter tow bar. Ian.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Towball centre between 350 and 420mm with the vehicle laden is the type-approval height for CAR towbars - the height requirement doesn't apply to 4x4s although all other parts of type approval do.

It's legal to fit a drop plate to a 4x4 (it isn't for a car) but that's not really recommended.

I've seen adverse comment elsewhere about X-Trail's being low when loaded - you may have to load up to get a true picture.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian

Just measured my X-trail tow ball height and it's 435mm to the centre. I too have about half a tank of fuel but there's no luggage in it at the moment. It all looks pretty level if anything slightly, caravan, nose down when hitched up and the boot full. Next time I'm loaded up I'll have another measure. By the way my tow bar was fitted by Nissan and it's got an Al-Ko ball with the longer neck.

Regards

Mikey

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ian,

The 350 to 420 mm figures apply when the caravan is hitched and loaded, so the rear suspension will be compressed a little because of the down force from the caravan hitch which may bring into the regulation range.

Others on this site do seem to be having difficulties with the X trail towing heights, but they seem to be under limit rather than above.

As Roger L points out the actual height limits may not apply to 4x4's but I am not sure if the limits are dependant on the number of driven wheels or if it is some other definable characteristic.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Interesting , I have a Freelander2 and thought it looked a little low when hitched up.

I've seen other FL2 and they are all the same , I measured the height of the towball when unladed and I think its was 420 or 450mm.

I haven't done so when hitched up , but how would you measure when the hitch is on?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The definition is "350 to 420mm with the vehicle laden but without trailer attached".

It's measured just before you hitch up.

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Towball centre between 350 and 420mm with the vehicle laden is the type-approval height for CAR towbars - the height requirement doesn't apply to 4x4s although all other parts of type approval do.

It's legal to fit a drop plate to a 4x4 (it isn't for a car) but that's not really recommended.

I've seen adverse comment elsewhere about X-Trail's being low when loaded - you may have to load up to get a true picture.
Hi thanks for all the replies to my queery. I've now found out that the guy who fitted the tow bar whilst it was at the dealers is the same guy whose been fitting my tow bars for the last 10 years or so. so i'll ring him and find out what he says. and will report back later. thanks again to all who replied.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts