Towbar on front of vehicle..Legal?

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
We have a towball fitted to the front of our Disco and find it VERY useful for pushing the caravan up a slight incline/into a difficult space. Saves clutch wear. Thinking of fitting one on our Skoda but wondering if it is legal? Have put the question on a legal website too but wonder if any of our caravanning buddies know the answer or indeed have one.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I guess the insurers COULD refuse to pay fow own damage (ANY) because of non-legit extension. Whether they will refuse is a different matter.

But does a front tow ball need Type Approval? Or would it be exempt? MOT?

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I raised your question, and my comments, on www.DIFFLOCK.com. Got the following reply. I admit surprise that front balls are factory approved.

......I have used a front tow ball on various cars over the years, before towing with 4x4's, which sometimes have had fixed front tow balls.

originally the one i had came from my fathers ford sierra estate & was a proper job. (i think it was an option from Ford with diesel engined estates.

the bar fitted behind the front bumper & folded out, allowing you to fit the removable ball.

this same tow bar got used on several various makes of vehicles with a little modification untill its where abouts became forgotten. (i havnt googled it, but similar front tow bars are still available.)

what you do in the privacy of your own land with your ball at the front is your own business. But i would suggest that you do go for a removable ball option for a front fitting.

If you were in a traffic accident & your protruding to the front ball caused extra damage, to person or vehicle, your insurance company may take a dim view. I doubt that they will want to talk about you fitting one & include this in your schedule.

It would also depend on the age of your car, air bag activation, fuel cut out switch etc.

Easiest i would think to have the bar hidden, swing out, & have the detachable ball.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

The discussion also continues on www.DIFFLOCK.com in 4x4 forum. Clicking on http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=43193 should find it.

I have only met front towballs on Land Rovers that were used to launch boats. Ball is set to near-side, so driver can see down side of boat.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In my Disco owning days i had a ball mounted towards the near side and found it very useful. It was a Witter fitting. However, I was told that later models could not have this fitting as there was a distinct possibility of a sharp engagement or otherwise striking the ball could activate the airbags.

With motor movers the need for front bars must be very much reduced, and i would be inclined to put the funds towards the cost of a mover.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts