Towbar Rust?

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Hi All,

I collected my new tug two months ago and was surprised last weekend when I removed the protective cover to find that the dealer fitted detachable towbar (brand new two months ago) has started to rust, at the point where you fix the towbar into the housing.

Is this normal after just two months, and can I treat it with anything?

Regards, Bill

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
To ensure an perfect fit, the detachable towball and its mating socket are made to very close tolerances and a thick coating of paint could interfere. Because the thickness of paint is difficult to control uniformly over a complex machined surface, the manufacturer has probably opted to not to paint at all or to apply only a very thin coat with inadequate rust proofing performance. So long as you don't put any grease on the towball itself, you could apply some protective grease to the socket of the detachable towbar. Usually, manufacturers supply a plug to go into the socket when the towbar is not in use. Be sure to insert that plug to prevent dirt from embedding itself in the grease. Also, it would be worthwhile to wrap the towbar it a cloth or something when it is removed to prevent it from making anything dirty, either.

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but shoudl rust be appearing so quickly?

This was the first time that I have just the towbar and it was when I removed the plastic protective cover, I discovered that approx 50/60% of the housing is now covered in rust. This is a Brink Matic system fitted to a Land Rover!

May 12, 2005
Visit site
william,

unprotected steel rusts very quickly, no fault of the manufacturer, just do as advised and apply a thin coat of grease and all will be OK.

Tony A.

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
Update:

After a quick e-mail and photo's to Brink towbars, they have come back and replied that the towbar should not rust so quickly and have offered to replace the towbar themselves, if the vehicle supplier (Land Rover) fail to do so.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts