Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a word of warning to everyone regarding the security of their towbar.When I arrived home from France last week I unhitched my van from my X Trail and realised there was some vertical movement on my towbar.It moved up and down about 12mm. The bar, a Witter, was fitted 2 years ago by Indespension in Southampton. To investigate the fixings the rear bumper has to be removed.I contacted Indespension and took it in to their depot yesterday.It transpired that one of the M12 bolts was hanging on the last couple ot threads and some of the others were loose.I supplied some M12 nylok lock nuts and 6 new M12 high tensile bolts which the fitter duly installed. Indespension did not charge for the work which took 1 1/2 hours to complete so as you can imagine I was very pleased with the service.

There was no apparent movement before my trip and nose weight is kept to about 90-95 kgms so check your fixings as far as possible although its not easy to check everyone due to bodywork restrictions.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good point made there Clive.

When you consider the forces acting on the towbar when travelling, and the few mounting points they use, it is no wonder they can suffer from loosening up over time.

Maybe because they are mostly hidden from view they get overlooked with possible very dangerous consequences.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Something was obviously very wrong somewhere if the bolts needed to be replaced. Considering the safety aspect, the fact that Indespension did not charge for the work was the very least they could do.

Dec 10, 2005
Visit site
My cousin has a trailer tent, and had her t/bar fitted at a proper fitters in Yorkshire area (no names). It had been fitted and used for roughly 3 weeks, when she and her hubby got diverted off the A1 when coming back from holiday. As they were creeping through a small village the tow bar dropped to the floor! Luckly they were only doing 5 - 10 mph and the only thing it broke was the j/wheel.

When the AA man arrived, he found that the rear two nut and bolts had worked loose and fell off, and the front ones were almost off.

The fitting company said it was a batch of faulty spring washers and replaced the lot and gave them a free bumper protector.

Always check the tow ball fittings every now and again, no matter who fitted it.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
I had a motor mover fitted by a very well known dealer on our new van about three years ago.

I always check garage work, sure enough none of the locknuts had been tightened up. Also I had to reposition the whole unit because as the van was jacked up the wheels jamed against the rollers. That would have been fun and games if I received a puncture.

Dont trust garages. [I worked in one]

Edd

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts