Towing and the law what is actually happening

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The maximum permissible towload for a 1.8 litre Astra Cabriolet is 1300kg. However, I'm a bit wary about towing with any convertible, whatever the make or model. They are not as torsionally rigid as a saloon car and the added load of towing can put very high demands on their structural integrity, especially on bad roads. I'd play it safe and tow with the Hyundai if I were you.

Mar 29, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Lutz, but the Astra comes with free fuel, and the wifes not so keen to have a towbar on her Hyundai?

However I can't ignore your advise, what you say does make sense, if I put a flower on the wifes tow bar, do you think she'd notice it?

Jon

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
Comment on item 2 of your reply, Jim M:

There is no legal limit on the weight of the caravan not being more than the kerbweight of the car (other than that imposed by the driving licence). The only restriction other than the manufacturer's specification is that 4x4's may not tow more than 1.5 times their kerbweight. This is because the law does not differentiate between high sided caravans and any other type of trailer. So long as due care is taken, low trailers can safely be towed at well over 100%.
Sorry, slightly confused! My 1989 Land Rover 110 has a kerbweight of 1930kgs (excluding ancillary kit such as roof rack, bull bars etc but is legally allowed to tow 3500kgs. 1.5x the kerbweight is around 2875kgs or there abouts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts