Towing behind a motorhome?

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi everyone

I have been asked by a friend to ascertain what is legal to tow on the rear of a motorhome! I said: something small, but he wants to pull a large Kia, capable of towing a caravan! He doesn't state whether it is on a 'trailer' or just run on its 'wheels'! Personally, I believe I am correct in saying that he would be towing illegally, but he doesn't agree. Help!

Ann

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As any trailer over 750kg (and a Kia capable of towing a caravan will be well above that) must be braked, the only practical way of towing the car would be to put it on a trailer. Besides, towing on a dolly is only permitted as an emergency measure to get the vehicle to the nearest garage.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Guys , I've said it before on here. The idiot in Sutherland towing a Smart car behind his motorhome, couldn't reverse it. I and my father in law had to revers our caravans nearly 75 yards because Mr Idiot turned out to be a merchant banker.

If you want to tow with a motor home please make sure you can reverse it as well.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ann,

There has been considerable discussion about how to legally tow small cars behind motor homes. As Lutz points out, any trailer of mass greater than 750Kg must be braked, and I am sure your reference to a large Kia must exceed that limit, so it must be braked.

Another limit that must be complied with is the towing vehicles gross train weight. To be considering towing a large Kia the towing vehicle would need to on the large side, and as most of the motor homes available in the UK are built on small commercial chassis (Ford Transit size - usually load capacity 1.5 Tonne) They may not have enough reserve capacity to tow such a vehicle.

Anything bigger with a trailer might require a driving licence categories C1+E or C+E. and the towing vehicle may need a Tachograph. This limits the drivers hours.

It would be very wise to advise your friend to fully research the issues using official sources. Do not rely on information garnered from forums such as this, as these sources are not traceable and their information may be flawed.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Hello Ann,

There has been considerable discussion about how to legally tow small cars behind motor homes. As Lutz points out, any trailer of mass greater than 750Kg must be braked, and I am sure your reference to a large Kia must exceed that limit, so it must be braked.

Another limit that must be complied with is the towing vehicles gross train weight. To be considering towing a large Kia the towing vehicle would need to on the large side, and as most of the motor homes available in the UK are built on small commercial chassis (Ford Transit size - usually load capacity 1.5 Tonne) They may not have enough reserve capacity to tow such a vehicle.

Anything bigger with a trailer might require a driving licence categories C1+E or C+E. and the towing vehicle may need a Tachograph. This limits the drivers hours.

It would be very wise to advise your friend to fully research the issues using official sources. Do not rely on information garnered from forums such as this, as these sources are not traceable and their information may be flawed.
Providing that the main vehicle has been designed to non comercially carry passengers and their effects and does not carry cargo you do not need a tacho whilst in the UK.

If you are travelling to other countries it would be wise to check their derogation rules.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your responses. He has now been crossed off my Christmas Card list as he just will not listen to mine or the TOHs arguments against this stupidity. I haven't seen the Kia in person but I do know that he towed a large heavy van with it. His new motorhome will guzzle fuel like mad with a thing like that on the back and I (we) personally would not like to have to travel very far behind him. His torque on the motorhome would not be good enough and 0-60 in many minutes just isn't on. We always thought him daft but he has now confirmed this.

Ann

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Lutz said : "Besides, towing on a dolly is only permitted as an emergency measure to get the vehicle to the nearest garage."

Sorry, me simple, other than Cindy & barbie what's a dolly ? :)

Is that a bar that attaches to your tow hook (like a tow-rope but solid), or is it a mini-trailer (or lift) that lifts your front wheels off the ground ?

I have seen a few smart-cars or very small cars (like micras etc) being towed behind motorhomes on the solid bars. I always wondered how they didn't scrub the tyres or mess up the steering as nobody was in the towed car steering around the corners.

Yes, I am ignorant on this, but if anyone can explain, I would be grateful :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ann

maybe he wants the Kia to tow the motorhome as when the poor things transmission gives up. My Kia Sorento is nearly 2.2 tonnes. omg, the mind boggles.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Lutz said : "Besides, towing on a dolly is only permitted as an emergency measure to get the vehicle to the nearest garage."

Sorry, me simple, other than Cindy & barbie what's a dolly ? :)

Is that a bar that attaches to your tow hook (like a tow-rope but solid), or is it a mini-trailer (or lift) that lifts your front wheels off the ground ?

I have seen a few smart-cars or very small cars (like micras etc) being towed behind motorhomes on the solid bars. I always wondered how they didn't scrub the tyres or mess up the steering as nobody was in the towed car steering around the corners.

Yes, I am ignorant on this, but if anyone can explain, I would be grateful :)
Yes, a dolly is a mini trailer which supports the front axle of the towed vehicle.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The 750kg limit for unbraked trailers applies to the gross weight, not the kerb weight. There are no cars, not even microcars, which are under 750kg gross.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ann

check out a different website (sorry Moderators!!) called Motorhomefacts. Their forum has loads of threads on this subject and I dont think anyone can agree whats right or wrong

There's a miriad of confusion of whats legal and whats not and whilst nothings been through the courts yet , certain european countries will stop and fine such setups and require the towed car to be removed and driven separately.

There is also some technical requirement of the towed vehicle to be adapted or changed or tinkered with in some way but I cant for the life of me remember how or what , something to do with how a cars braking system is different to a trailer I think.

We looked into this option when we had a motorhome and it was just too much a mine field and too costly to even contemplate. I know people that do tow a car behind their MH and have done so , trouble free , for years, but they're towing Smart cars or other similar toy cars.

Jul 18, 2006
Visit site
Minefield isn't the word.

You mentioned about braking of trailers, well in the UK above 750 Kg the "trailer" or car in this case should be braked, well unless the car is on a trailer iteslf, or someone is inside "braking" themsleves, it is illegeal surely.

Not sure what the kerbweight of a smart car - just looked on internet it's 720 Kg.

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
HI! Ann regarding towing behind motorhome i saw a guy with a 24ft m/home towing a large mercedes car he used a small A/frame that went onto special eyes fitted into the front grill of the car then onto the usual rear towhook he then fitted a small box that jammed under the drivers seat of the car and then another rod fitted onto the brake pedal of the car all very legal (so he said )so that when he braked the motorhome the car also braked at the same time (all worked by a small connecting cable from the rear of the motorhome) also inside the m/home were warning light to say if anything was wrong when towing

he bought it in Germany he said it worked very very well

cheers duggie

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
HI! Ann regarding towing behind motorhome i saw a guy with a 24ft m/home towing a large mercedes car he used a small A/frame that went onto special eyes fitted into the front grill of the car then onto the usual rear towhook he then fitted a small box that jammed under the drivers seat of the car and then another rod fitted onto the brake pedal of the car all very legal (so he said )so that when he braked the motorhome the car also braked at the same time (all worked by a small connecting cable from the rear of the motorhome) also inside the m/home were warning light to say if anything was wrong when towing

he bought it in Germany he said it worked very very well

cheers duggie

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Duggie for the info. As I said earlier - it isn't my motorhome, nor am I towing with one. Still more than fond of the caravan we own. We also like the idea of setting up and leaving it if we like for a day out.

Ann

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts