Towing Car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cant think of any 5 berth vans suitable for your vehicle, You may be lucky and find an old 4 berth. You need to find a van no greater than 85% of the vehicle kerb weight, but a bigger problem is the power output of your vehicle,

Aug 13, 2005
Visit site
Cant think of any 5 berth vans suitable for your vehicle, You may be lucky and find an old 4 berth. You need to find a van no greater than 85% of the vehicle kerb weight, but a bigger problem is the power output of your vehicle,
Would I need something like a 1.6 car for 5 berth

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The smallest I would tow with would be a 1.6, although 1.8 or above is preferable. Small engined cars may just about manage on the level but when it comes to hills you could be strugiling , especialy in start stop conditions. You also want a car which is heavy enough to contro; the van in the event of snaking.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Del, most modern 5 berths have MPTLM of 1300kg or thereabouts. Personally I would want a 2l for this, although others may recommend a particular 1800 as being up to the task.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wouldnt disagree Ray. I personally would be looking for a 2.0+ turbo diesel. What I was refering to was the minimum possible for an older 5 berth which were a bit lighter. But I agree for a modern van you need something with a bit of power. We have a Lexon EB (1300kg) which we tow with a frontera 2.2DTI. It is a perefect match but I wouldnt have anything smaller.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I wouldnt disagree Ray. I personally would be looking for a 2.0+ turbo diesel. What I was refering to was the minimum possible for an older 5 berth which were a bit lighter. But I agree for a modern van you need something with a bit of power. We have a Lexon EB (1300kg) which we tow with a frontera 2.2DTI. It is a perefect match but I wouldnt have anything smaller.
Del, sorry if you thought there was some criticism of you reply. I had meant to send it to James as a response to his post and agreed with what you said.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No problems ray, didnt read you reply as critisism, agree with what you say about ,modern weights of vans and power requiered.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Quite apart from any 85% weight ratio recommendation, I think one would have difficulty in finding a big choice of cars with 1.6 litre engines with a permissible towload of 1300kg or more. Off hand, I don't know any. 1200kg seems to be the limit for most.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts