Towing Electrics

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
First time in 3 years I disconnected the 13 pin from the. VW whilst the engine was running. A lovely printed note appeared on the dash saying O/S caravan rear light failure.
Switched off engine and back on ,All ok. Clever these VW guys.

Reactions: RogerL
Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
That reminds me of last year when I visited the Cotswolds. I parked my C5-X7 at Broadway Tower and the only available space was along a very sloping verge. After seeing the Tower, I switched on and started the engine. Immediately the STOP light lit with a message that the oil level was low. I guessed it was because of the lean towards the ditch and quickly moved to the level road. Concern set in and I pulled in to stop at the first opportunity. With the engine running the warning stayed on, so I switched off and allowed time for the BSI to wind down. After a couple of minutes, I restarted and the warning disappeared.

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve had to pull over twice on two different cars for TPMS warnings. But when I got out and checked the tyres they were all at the required pressure of cold pump pressure plus 4-5 psi when warm. After restarting the warning had disappeared.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’ve had to pull over twice on two different cars for TPMS warnings. But when I got out and checked the tyres they were all at the required pressure of cold pump pressure plus 4-5 psi when warm. After restarting the warning had disappeared.
I had that on my previous Jeep even though tyres were correct pressure. It took a journey, switch off, leaving vehicle off for an hour and on restart message gone. Apparently this can occur on a very cold morning when pressure is borderline?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had that on my previous Jeep even though tyres were correct pressure. It took a journey, switch off, leaving vehicle off for an hour and on restart message gone. Apparently this can occur on a very cold morning when pressure is borderline?
It’s really disconcerting having to finish a journey with an orange light glaring at you from the dash.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If the pressure is borderline, after a very cold night, it should warm-up and increase once the car is driven and the TPMS lights go out - at least that's what my VW does - certainly don't need to restart to get rid of the message.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
First time in 3 years I disconnected the 13 pin from the. VW whilst the engine was running. A lovely printed note appeared on the dash saying O/S caravan rear light failure.
Interesting. AIUI most manufacturers detect the rear fog light to decide that a trailer has been connected.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Interesting. AIUI most manufacturers detect the rear fog light to decide that a trailer has been connected.
Not all trailers (older ones) have a rear fog light but all have tail marker lights - and internationally, not all cars have rear fog lights.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If the pressure is borderline, after a very cold night, it should warm-up and increase once the car is driven and the TPMS lights go out - at least that's what my VW does - certainly don't need to restart to get rid of the message.

I would think that the sensor does not broadcast to the monitor continuously, but only at intervals otherwise the sensor would need replacing annually depending on mileage hence the disparity.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I would think that the sensor does not broadcast to the monitor continuously, but only at intervals otherwise the sensor would need replacing annually depending on mileage hence the disparity.
My sensors transmit continuously while the car is in motion - at nearly 8 year old and nearly 60,000 miles they're still the originals and show no sign of deterioration although they won't last for ever

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My sensors transmit continuously while the car is in motion - at nearly 8 year old and nearly 60,000 miles they're still the originals and show no sign of deterioration although they won't last for ever
I had to replace one on our 2005 Jeep in about 2015 and at the time it cost us £90 for one sensor. The others were still working when i sold the Jeep in 2018.

Jul 19, 2021
Visit site
Yep, I was towing in Devon a couple of years ago in some terrible weather and the Tiguan warned me that a tail light on the caravan was not working, 20 miles in to the journey. They were checked and working before we set off. Stopped in the first layby and replaced the blown bulb.
Dedicated electrics are pretty good IMO

May 11, 2021
Visit site
Not all TPMS systems use active sensors. Some use the ABS sensors to detect a speed differential between wheels to spot a reduced pressure.

Reactions: RogerL

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
This is what was left of my TPMS after a stone went through the tyre, broke off inside and hit it. It was still working just spinning around inside the tyre. Its parted company from the actual valve. Powered by a CR2032 battery which supposedly would need replacing at some time in the future.

OEM part £65.

TMPS1.jpg

TPMS2.jpg

TRENDING THREADS