Towing in the wind

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
hi

I have only towed our caravan a hand full of times and never on the motorway. We are travelling on Friday to the Lake District so am getting extra worried that I'm going on the motorway for the first time and the weather has forecast windy. Any information on what to expect and how to arrive safe would be gratefully accepted. Our Volvo is a good weight match for our Abbey van, and is loaded correctly.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think you will find the weather has calmed down by Friday at least I hope so as we will be towing. If the forecast is bad it is as well to note the location of a few sites near the road as a safety net. Woodlandscampers advice is spot on though.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Be aware when approaching junctions of being cut up by ejits :evil: wanting a quick exit from the motorway, same applies for the slip roads when they undertake you to get on. Depending on how far you are travelling try to time it so that you are not in rush hour traffic when on the motorway with it being your fist time.

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
If you find a truck or coach coming up to pass you try and keep over to the left of your lane to help with the bow wave effect. If you come up behind some trucks, especially car transporters, you might find your outfit a bit twitchy from turbulence. Either pull back or try to pass . Just take your time and you'll be fine.

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
I NEVER overtake anything on a downhill incline, (and this means reading the road well ahead) and never be forced into exceeding the speed at which you feel most comfortable. If you find yourself in the middle lane and outside a truck as the road begins to decline again, be confident to back off and pull back in gently, making sure you use your nearside mirror and signal well. Be prepared for gusts, from crosswind and large vehicles, and keep both hands firmly on the wheel at all times. Don't brake if gusts hit you, but gently remove pressure on the accelerator. If overtaken by a truck or coach expect to be sucked slightly outwards, then back again, but keep on a steady course and don't over react. Watch out for them in the mirrors, as they can sneak up and catch you out and you will be surprised by the sudden change in the feel of your outfit. Yes, transporters are the worst for turbulence, so if you come upon one just hang back until you have plenty of room and time to pass safely. You will not get there much quicker if you travel faster and take risks, so relax and enjoy the trip!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi ratty , we went to the lakes late last year , weather wasn't that good for traveling , wet and windy, our route there took us along the A66 , a fast open road , I was down to 5o mph because of the side winds because alot of that road is open , especially when we passed a unit on the other side on its side ! Watch out for cross winds when you come to high bridges to on motorways to cos I've been caught out once or twice , enjoy .

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Enjoy your trip tomorrow Ratty.
You have received some excellent advice from the experienced folks here on the forum. I would just add two things, remember that:

1 the speed limits are not "target"s that must be achieved at all costs, so drive at speeds that are well within your outfit's and your own capabilities, taking into account all the considerations of weather, traffic density, visibility, road surface etc.,

2 Don't forget a final check on tyre pressure for van and tug, that the wheel nuts are torgued up correctly, and that you have double checked that the tow hitch, external hatches and roof vents, windows etc are all closed and secured.
Happy Caravanning!
Regards
paws

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for the good advice, it's nice to know people are still willing to help each other out and give advice when asked.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts