Towing & insurance

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And Frank - make sure you tell them IN WRITING - via email or letter and keep a copy.

I have had too many incidences of people telling their insurance company about a change etc on the phone - only to be told later that "there is no record of you telling us that"

My general advice (as an IFA - I do not deal in car/house/pet insurance etc but work quite closely with those that do) is:-

If you find yourself dealing with a call centre in another part of the world - change insurer at the earliest opportunity

Confirm everything in writing

Try to select a provider/broker that allows you to ring them on an ordinary telephone line - not an 0870 number.

Do use emails and keep all copies

Take the name of the person you are talking to and make a note of date and time of call.

KEEP ALL DOCUMENTATION - make a file up and keep it safe.

NEVER use an insurance company that advertises via a leaflet in a magazine.

Go for a "good name". This Forum is an excellent source of recommendation. Both those that are good and those to avoid.

Despite the threat of legal action by one that should not be touched with the proverbial barge pole

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You do need to inform your insurers if towing any trailer.

Your car insurance will cover the caravan for third-party claims while on the public highway but not for damage to the caravan.

Many of us arrange insurance over the telephone. A verbal contract such as this is just as enforceable as a written contract, insurers often record calls anyway. Since you would have no record of giving this information, CliveV's advice to inform them in writing is sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts