Towing legally?

Dec 13, 2005
Visit site
I have a VW Touran 170 and tow a Pageant Burgundy (MTPLM 1445 kg)- it tows very well - and is clearly legal.

Can I tow a Limousin (1589 kg) legally?

The car's V5 states that the Revenue weight (what is that?) is 1551 kg unladen. But the 'Technical Permissible Maximum Towable Mass of the trailer' is 1600 kg braked.

It also states that the Mass in Service is 1672 kg.

Advice welcomed please!!

Alistair

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If the caravan weight is under the towing limit, then it's legal.

The Mass In Service is equivalent to the kerbweight to the EC definition, ie with driver and 90% fuel.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Alistair

Roger has been very succinct in his reply,

I would also add you need to check the Gross Train Weight, as some car manufactures use a lower GTW than the sum of the cars maximum solo weight and the caravans MTPLM

Always check your available limits with the handbook for the vehicle, or the dealer/manufacture.

Jan 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Alistair

I too have the same confusion. I am about to take delivery of a new Mondeo estate. I currently tow a Bordeaux with my 2004 Passat saloon. It tows fine with power to spare however I thought about changing the Bordeaux later next year for a Limousin but am unsure about the weights. Checking the Ford website it says Kerbweight 1590.. Gross vehicle Mass 2275.. Train Mass 4075.

Someone correct me please if I am am wrong but if the Mondy kerbweight is 1590 and the Limousin is 1589 does that equate to 100% and the total sum is within the train weight I can tow legally?

I am a seasoned 'vanner of many years so the 100% doesn't worry me but the wording is getting a little confusing and I want to stay legal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Catsparky,

Based on the figures you have quoted, the Mondeo can tow (GTR- GVM=MTPLM) 4075-2275 which is a good towing capacity of 1800Kg.

The only figure you quote for the caravan is 1589, but you don't say if that is the caravans MTPLM, so I will assume it is.

The towing ratio is always quoted as the Caravan MTPLM/cars kerb weight which as you rightly say in this case is 100%

So mechanically the car is rated to tow your proposed caravan.

But, it is recommended to keep the caravan as light as possible compared to the car. This improves the chances that the outfit will be a good match, both for power and stability. In the UK the caravanning organisations recommend a ratio not exceeding 85%, but this is only a recommendation.

The other potential fly in the ointment for some drivers is the Gross Train Weight. If you passed your test after Jan 1997, you will only be accredited to drive up to a 100% match with a GTW not exceeding 3500Kg. (Cat B) Test taken before Jan 1997 accredit the driver to cat B+E which covers this combination.

Jan 24, 2008
Visit site
Hello Catsparky,

Based on the figures you have quoted, the Mondeo can tow (GTR- GVM=MTPLM) 4075-2275 which is a good towing capacity of 1800Kg.

The only figure you quote for the caravan is 1589, but you don't say if that is the caravans MTPLM, so I will assume it is.

The towing ratio is always quoted as the Caravan MTPLM/cars kerb weight which as you rightly say in this case is 100%

So mechanically the car is rated to tow your proposed caravan.

But, it is recommended to keep the caravan as light as possible compared to the car. This improves the chances that the outfit will be a good match, both for power and stability. In the UK the caravanning organisations recommend a ratio not exceeding 85%, but this is only a recommendation.

The other potential fly in the ointment for some drivers is the Gross Train Weight. If you passed your test after Jan 1997, you will only be accredited to drive up to a 100% match with a GTW not exceeding 3500Kg. (Cat B) Test taken before Jan 1997 accredit the driver to cat B+E which covers this combination.
Hi John L

Thanks for the advice and having passed my test in 1969 I think I'm ok for the licence. It's great to know that there is some valuable and reliable information available from like minded people via this forum.

Many thanks

Gordon

TRENDING THREADS