Towing Mirrors

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Leafing through the latest copy of Caravan Club Magazine, it seems that I need to bin my circa 2000 towing mirrors and buy some "E" marked ones. In addition I must have two fitted when towing - not one as was previously the case.

Apparently this has been the case since December 2005?

Any comments anyone before I dash out and change my mirrors?

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
If you only have one mirror just buy a second if the first mirror is E marked.

We have always used two mirrors, e marked, a few years old but fine. Ignore the sale spiel about having to buy all new mirrors, it's another sales con and the caravan club should know better.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Theoretically the CC is correct but in practice I cannot imagine that anyone would have any serious problems with a non-E-marked mirror. I wouldn't worry about the lack of the E-mark, but I'd go along with Shady Sadies's advice to get an E-marked one for the other side.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

I'll have a shop around for some cheap new ones.

It was interesting that the CC devoted a whole page to the subject and then out dropped a promotional leaflet from Milenco containing...towing mirrors!

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Went to dealer today and they said there have been several people asking same question . when i looked at their stock only Millenco had the mark on and what a price they are. Dealer said they have not been informed about this yet and will leave it up to the customer whether they buy them or not. I did mention about one remark in CC that implied the dealer could get involved if a person had them and was stopped and prosocuted, but hey the police have enough to do without this silly so called law. Not to mention the pair i have are only two years old.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Roger my thoughts exactly

I posted this on another site before reading your posting here!!

The CC seem to have been unabe to understand the legislation and relied on Milenco for answers

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I hate these spongeing manufacturers and sales gags such as the article. Posted in chitchat about silly tips on the advertising leaflet and had not read the article until now, it really raises my concerns about the CC.

The leaflet went straight in the recycling after noting the mirror design. There is no way that I would be clamping that to my car mirrors even if we needed them.

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Here we go again! Wasn't this already discussed in a LONG and heated debate here on this very forum recently? And was started by the sales rep of Milenco?

Personally, I'm not impressed by Milenco mirrors and love my Pyramid Suck-It-And-See mirrors. I think it's down to advertising and favouritism.

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Products > Mirrors

Caravan Club Article - Towing Mirrors - Update

The Caravan Club article about towing mirrors has caused countless telephone calls and some confusion.

We deeply regret any concern this may have caused caravanners.

The article was designed to be a comprehensive guide about the legal requirements for towing mirrors. It was carefully prepared and based upon information that we have on file provided by the Department of Transport, Vehicle Certification Agency, British Standards Institute and from meetings with Trading Standards officers.

May we clarify some of the points in the article, which may have been misunderstood?

Milenco is not the only manufacturer of e - marked Mirrors.

At the time of writing, we believe Milenco were the only manufacture to have Towing Mirrors approved to the latest standards (ec2003/97 ec2005/27 un46.02) with products in caravan accessory shops.

Since the article was published, it is evident other manufacturers of towing mirrors also do have products approved to these newer standards, although we have not seen these products in shops.

The article as published was shortened to fit onto a single page. In the original text we did explain that the e - mark may contain other numbers than E11. E1, E2 etc up to E51. This number denotes the country of testing. Any of these numbers are acceptable on an e- mark.

We have also learnt that since the publication of this article, the Department of Transport may have provided information to an importer of towing mirrors that contradicts the article and that the requirement for the e - mark on a towing mirror may not be until the 26th of January 2010.

We are awaiting a definitive response from the Department of Transport in respect of what date e marking became or will become a legal requirement. In either case Milenco mirrors do comply with the latest requirements.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
What the CC letter fails to clarify adequately is that the approval number is not the number within the circle (that, as they correctly point out, is the identifier of the country where approval was obtained), but it is the number below the circle.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
From the DOT

Hi ***

I understand you wanted clarification on the caravan towing mirrors.

The requirements for caravan towing mirrors follow the vehicle mirror requirements as defined in Regulation 33 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. Regulation 33 requires that the mirrors comply with either the EC Directives (71/127/EEC or 2003/97/EC) or UNECE Regulation 46.

The current confusion is based on the fact that that Regulation 33 allows compliance with EC Directive 2003/97/EC. However, the requirements of this Directive do not become compulsory for new cars until 26th January 2010. Therefore, if the towing-mirror is already in use, or newly purchased now - E marking is preferred (but not strictly required).

If a NEW car is purchased after 26th January 2010, then 2003/97/EC or UNECE Regulation 46 compliant caravan towing mirrors will be required for that vehicle. We assume that all caravan towing mirrors would comply with the new requirements by that time.

For those who want to be pedantic about the markings on the mirrors:

'e' in a rectangle signifies approval to the EC Directives; and

'E' in a circle signifies approval to the UNECE Regulation.

Either of these markings is acceptable.

I trust this helps.

Kind Regards

Department for Transport

Transport Technology and Standards 8

Zone 2/05

Great Minster House

76 Marsham Street

London SW1P 4DR

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As I see it, the letter from DOT only serves to add to the confusion.

To quote from Brian's reply above: The requirements for caravan towing mirrors follow the vehicle mirror requirements as defined in Regulation 33 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986. Regulation 33 requires that the mirrors comply with either the EC Directives (71/127/EEC or 2003/97/EC) or UNECE Regulation 46.

If mirrors already have to meet either of the two above, then surely they must be marked as such, irrespective of whether 71/127/EEC is going to be replaced by 2003/97/EC in January 2010.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
You couldn't make this stuff up. I seriously resent my taxes being used to support this nonsense. I haven't checked my mirrors for e-numbers, nor do I intend to.

It would be more useful to deal with the numerous caravanners who tow without any extension mirrors.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Besides, there is a difference between e-numbers and E-numbers. The former are an EU invention, the latter are United Nations Economic Council for Europe numbers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts