Towing more than 3.5t with L plates???

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
My mate, who passed his driving test after 1997 reckons he's legal to drive his outfit which weighs more than 3.5t as long as he puts L plates on the outfit & has his girlfriend sat next to him who passed her test before 1997.

Is he correct?

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I read somewhere recently that you can drive a vehicle needing a C-licence even if you only have a provisional licence.

BUT you cannot take a C-test until you have passed a B-test.

I think the motorway is out of bounds to provisional licence holders.

I think this means that having passed my test in a car in 1958, and again in a Bedford RL truck in 1959, and taught my wife to drive, I now need her to sit beside me, and wear L-plates when driving a 3500kg plus truck.

Or is it all a question of passing a medical?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Why this reference to a 'C' licence? You only need a 'C' licence if the towcar itself can already weigh more than 3500kg (which is unlikely). In most cases a 'B+E' is quite sufficient as it covers vehicles up to 3500kg towing any trailer with no weight limit.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Provided the driver has a full B licence - obtained before or after 1/1/97 they can tow a "larger" outfit on a motorway IF they display "L" plates and are accompanied by a driver with a B+E entitlement. The motorway restriction on learners doesn't apply to B licence holders practicing for B+E, C or D licences but a suitably qualified person must also be present - you'll often see HGV or bus learners on motorways.

By "larger" I mean an outfit where the sum of the two MAWs exceeds 3500kg or the trailer MAW (MTPLM) exceeds the towing vehicle's kerbweight - in other words the restriction imposed on post 1/1/97 drivers with B only entitlement.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Provided the driver has a full B licence - obtained before or after 1/1/97 they can tow a "larger" outfit on a motorway IF they display "L" plates and are accompanied by a driver with a B+E entitlement. The motorway restriction on learners doesn't apply to B licence holders practicing for B+E, C or D licences but a suitably qualified person must also be present - you'll often see HGV or bus learners on motorways.

By "larger" I mean an outfit where the sum of the two MAWs exceeds 3500kg or the trailer MAW (MTPLM) exceeds the towing vehicle's kerbweight - in other words the restriction imposed on post 1/1/97 drivers with B only entitlement.
Slight correction - drivers passing the B test before 1/1/97 don't need the "L" plates or accompanying driver even if they're practising to take the +E test.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Now without trawling through all the legal blurb and there's reems of it, I believe you are ok on trunk roads to drive on Learner plates but if the tow vehicle is a private car, then you would not be able to use the motor way.

Rather than flying by the seat of your pants and risking some intervention from the Interplod, why not just dig deep and pay to take the test.

Steve L.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts