Towing route St Helens to Longnor Woods, Nr Buxton

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Folks

I posted this on "towing and driving" but only got one answer so I thought I'd try here, too.

Following recommendations of other folk on this site my wife, Max the collie and I are off to Longnor Woods, nr Buxton for a 5 day break. YIPPEE!!

We are travelling from home at St Helens, Merseyside on the Tuesday after Easter.

The RAC and AA route planners both suggest down the M6, then to Macclesfield and then over the Cat and Fiddle and finally down the A53 towards Leek.

I have driven over the Cat and Fiddle but a long time ago in my pre-towing days. What is that route like for towing? We have quite a big van but tow with a 4x4 and have quite a lot of towing experience.

Another possibility would be to across to Stockport and then travel down the A6 to Buxton.

Any advice very welcome.

Thanks

Tim

Apr 13, 2006
Visit site
Tim

We travelled to Buxton from Cumbria 3 years ago. Our route was as you suggested: M6 J19 then through Macclesfield on A537/A54, a bit steep in places but not difficult - I towed with an Audi 100 estate and 22ft van. On the way back home I tried the A6 to Stockport but the traffic was horendous!!

Brian S

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Brian and John (again)

I've just had the automatic gearbox tranmission checked and the fluid changed on the Monterey so we're all ready for those hills.

Regards

Tim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian Rourke runs an annual sponsored cycle ride from Burslem over the Cat and Fiddle and the Tour of Britain used to use it as well.

I lived in St Helens (born in North Rd) and Buxton via the Cat used to be on the list of club runs with St Helens Road Club in the 1950's !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts