Towing: speed limits

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
otherclive said:
I fitted my Pajero with 33 inch tyres compared to the standard 29/30 inch ones. Kept the wheels at 15 inch though. Didn’t do much for acceleration but economy improved. I recalibrated the speedometer using the satnav and then placed small hiviz stickers at critical speed points 30-70 mph.

How do you know that the larger overall diameter of the tyres doesn't create a wheel envelope clearance problem at full lock and full bump or full rebound?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lutz said:
otherclive said:
I fitted my Pajero with 33 inch tyres compared to the standard 29/30 inch ones. Kept the wheels at 15 inch though. Didn’t do much for acceleration but economy improved. I recalibrated the speedometer using the satnav and then placed small hiviz stickers at critical speed points 30-70 mph.

How do you know that the larger overall diameter of the tyres doesn't create a wheel envelope clearance problem at full lock and full bump or full rebound?

Because the car was modified for serious off reading. It had Pedders (Australian) suspension lift and uprated springs, new foam cell shock absorbers, front torsion bars wound up before the larger tyres were fitted. Clearances were checked loaded and unloaded and when used for the first time off road I spent as long underneath it as driving it. At no time were the tyres contacting the car. The mods were well proven via other owners of SWB Pajeros in U.K. and Australia. It had much better rear suspension performance which in conjunction with the LSD and increased ground clearance made it a Land Rover recovery vehicle. Downside was a slight reduction in front articulation given the wind up on the torsion bars.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts