Towing speed

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I don't holiday on the continent (yet
smiley-smile.gif
) and I haven't downloaded the speed camera location software but I can pre-set my Tom Tom 540 to provide various warning beeps and chimes at speeds that I select.
I use a soft chime for just before 50 mph and a slightly louder beep for just under 60 mph which saves me having to monitor the speed indicator on the satnav all of the time when towing the caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Smiley,
May I remind you that the speed limit on UK roads for caravans is maximum 60mph, 65 is speeding that is what's wrong with your stated activity.

I can understand the calls to abolish speed camera warnings, after all they should not be necessary if drivers simply obeyed the speed limits.
I was caught out several years ago when I simply missed the sign at the end of a 40mph section where it rduced to 30mph. I went back some time later to see why I was not aware of the change, The 30mph sign was amongst a plethora of other road signs at a busy island.and It didnt help when there were no changes to the street light pattern to indicate a lower speed limit, and no repeater signs in the vicinity.
I now have a Sat Nav that flags up the speed limit of the road on the screen, and it will beep If the limit is exceeded. however it does need you to keep the maps upto date, and of course you still need to be wary of temproary speed limits, and the variable speed limits often employed around busy sections of the UK moptorways.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Prof John L said:
Hello Smiley,
May I remind you that the speed limit on UK roads for caravans is maximum 60mph, 65 is speeding that is what's wrong with your stated activity.

I can understand the calls to abolish speed camera warnings, after all they should not be necessary if drivers simply obeyed the speed limits.
I was caught out several years ago when I simply missed the sign at the end of a 40mph section where it rduced to 30mph. I went back some time later to see why I was not aware of the change, The 30mph sign was amongst a plethora of other road signs at a busy island.and It didnt help when there were no changes to the street light pattern to indicate a lower speed limit, and no repeater signs in the vicinity.
Prof, I find your post very funny
smiley-laughing.gif

Warnings to others about not breaking speed limits for any reason. Followed by and admission that you've done exactly that. Placing road safety campaigner/policemen hat firmly on head I would say that you were also guilty of driving without due care and attention if you missed the speed limit due to a "plethora of other road signs". You really should have slowed down and checked out all those signs, they are not there as decoration.
Folowing that with "I now have a Sat Nav that flags up the speed limit of the road on the screen, and it will beep If the limit is exceeded". Can I ask how you know it will actually beep?

Sits back smugly with 43 year clean and unblemished driving record
smiley-embarassed.gif

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Gybe said:
JonnyG said:
smiley said:
Well, it wasn't me on the A14 as I was in France on the motorways. But I will be on A14 next weekend..
I don't have an outfit that is over 3.5t so if its not raining we tow at 70-75 in France conditions permitting of course.... Our van has no trouble staying on the ground in a straight line..at home on motorways I see nothing wrong with towing at 60-65 maybe, (car are allowed to drive between 70-80 so i just make the necessary adjustments when towing) but again if conditions permits.
But I think stupid also relates to people indicating right at an island and precede to go straight on, turning left from a right hand lane and vise versa. I would like to see more fines and people getting caught for not driving properly..... speed on its own is not the only major factor of accidents so why are speeders the lowest of the lowest? Just an idle thought..
If sat nav and garmins are becomming illegall in Germany especailly, could one ask WHY are the germans building car with these items built in???
Should the government tell audi, VW not to put them in as standard fit??
sat nav are not becoming illegal but camera locations warnings are illegal now in most european countries and the uk looks
likely to follow suit.. It seems a crazy idea really although those that claim one should always have an eye on ones speedo,just in case will disagree with me,but for me a warning serves a good purpose regardless the alternative is a lot of drivers will be hitting their
brakes when they see the camera and this itself will cause a problem regardless of if they are speeding or not,as plenty of drivers who are not speeding still seem to hit their brakes at the sight of a speed camera.......
I'm fascinated and would love to know how Herman, LeClerc or Pietro Plod will know if speed camera detection is enabled on a Satnav. If I wanted to use my personal satnav to detect German camera locations I could have the speed cam files on a seperate card that could swifly be removed before the Plods got near the car or satnav.
It's also quite a simple matter to change the data so it doesn't show as speed camera detection.
My employer's (I'm a part timer) work trips on European roads are time sensitive and all the drivers find themselves struggling to keep up with changes in speed limits on roads and navigate British RHD vehicles and trailer combo's on the other side of the road along with heavy traffic conditions. On work trips the satnavs now have no speed camera warnings but we get a warning by other means (not radar detector) that can be set to give a warning a mile before any type of camera location. We also now use the same system when either solo or caravanning. It's a reminder and helps stop potentially expensive mistakes. If any of us decided to drive 15 mph over a German limit and the slow to the limit a mile before a camera or become very twitchy a mile before a set of lights how keen are the German Plods to pounce and check out our satnav system
smiley-smile.gif

How foreign police can police the technology drivers from outsides use is beyond me. On pre selected routes you can simply log camera locations as pot holes, daffodill or toilet stop if you really are intent on speeding and dodging cameras. Plenty of European drivers also have ways around the satanav speedcam rules or just ignore the law and there are a lot less cameras than in the UK.
I've been passed many times in France and European countries by very large non UK caravan combo's that are far in excess of 3500KG and often rattling and lurching along at 60mph + with huge sat dishes bobbling about on the roof and even with a trailer or genny in tow attached to the caravan. Never seen one of those combo's nicked by the Gendarmes so unless you're intent on driving like Stirling Moss in a Grand Prix when towing in Europe you should all be fine
smiley-wink.gif

Stay safe!
from what i have found out, it is illegal for french police to switch your sat nav on. so if like me you still have speed camera of france still on my phone sat nav, then if in the unlikely event you were to be pulled over, simply switch off you sat nav.. go to honest john, as he has a letter printed in french telling of your rights under french law...I drive a lot and try to use common sense but its impossible to drive perfectly ever moment of the day and like the prof stated most sat navs have a speed warning function which is very good tool for reminding you of, but not perfect. personally i dont see how that functions and speed camera warning differ, both remind you are speed limits there either both ok or both not ok... the law only requires you to not break the law so to speak, it should not dictate how one does it!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gybe said:
Folowing that with "I now have a Sat Nav that flags up the speed limit of the road on the screen, and it will beep If the limit is exceeded". Can I ask how you know it will actually beep?

Sits back smugly with 43 year clean and unblemished driving record
smiley-embarassed.gif
I believe it will beep because the instructions tell me it will!
smiley-innocent.gif

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My Garmin will show speed limits and car's speed which turns red if above the speed limit. It can also be set to beep too. I rarely use the satnav unless in unfamiliar cities, or abroad. when I can program it on the PC to ensure that the route is caravan friendly. The car's own satnav does not show speed limits, car's speed or camera locations either....that because its against Volvos safety ethos. But in truth the Garmin's functionality beats the car's own satnav hands down, and I can use it in pedestrian mode when wandering around towns...very useful too; and no cameras or speed limits to bother me.

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
There are numerous web sites that offer alternative additional progams for Garmin, Tomtom and oter satnav systems, There are some very good alternative speed warning programs to the satnav manufacturers own offerings along with programs for routing and marking points on a route or storing you data on a pc or customisin sounds and screen shots.
It's worth a search around the internet for alternative satav customisation programs.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
hi
" along with programs for routing" assuming you mean this to add to a garmin or tom tom sat nav ,as yet not come across anything
that adds or over writes the standard garmin or tom tom routing system from an outside source. if one did exsist can not imagine how
it could be an improvement over the standard routing programme given the libray data these two have built up on road movements
data .but certainly i would be interested to know if such products were out there....

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Martin24 said:
My sat nav system seems to be able to tell how fast I'm going without even looking up from her map!!
smiley-wink.gif
Does she also instantly know where all the safety cameras are,distance to them along with cafes, restaurants, fuel stations, DIY stores, camp sites, beauty spots, places to visit and more? And aso hold a French or German langauge lesson, read you a book or play your choice of music whilst also navigating?
smiley-wink.gif

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Gybe said:
Martin24 said:
My sat nav system seems to be able to tell how fast I'm going without even looking up from her map!!
smiley-wink.gif
Does she also instantly know where all the safety cameras are,distance to them along with cafes, restaurants, fuel stations, DIY stores, camp sites, beauty spots, places to visit and more? And aso hold a French or German langauge lesson, read you a book or play your choice of music whilst also navigating?
smiley-wink.gif
Well of course every man knows a woman can multitask at the best of times
smiley-laughing.gif

multi_tasking_woman.gif

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Gybe said:
Martin24 said:
smiley-wink.gif
smiley-wink.gif
Oh!! - she's better than that, and tows as well!!!!

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
So what the difference between you garmin telling you that there's a fixed camers coming up on the road
and maps and road atlas's telling you where they are?
And of course boys all us women multitask seperbly!!

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
smiley said:
So what the difference between you garmin telling you that there's a fixed camers coming up on the road
and maps and road atlas's telling you where they are?
And of course boys all us women multitask seperbly!!
A satnav knows where you are to within a few metres, even an above average skilled map reader navigating is unlikely to be able too pin point your position.and relate it acurately to any poi. Map data, dates! Safety cameras of all types and styles can be updated daily for most of Europe.
Apart from safety cameras a satnav can have the position of millions of businesses and POI's with the ability too direct you to the nearest within a second or two. A satnav isn't the 100% answer but generally it has more info and capability than any nearest or dearest. When driving for work my nearest and dearest just can't fit in my pocket and satnavs have navigated me from around Scandinavia down to the southern most points of Europe with no problems and bypassed many traffic and roadwork hold ups that my Mrs would have no knowledge of. As much as I'd like to have my wife with me all the time
smiley-wink.gif
my employers just wouldn't allow it
smiley-laughing.gif

Plus, a satnav has never forgotten where my vehicle is parked when wandering around in a strange city.

Well, you did ask

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
JonnyG said:
hi
" along with programs for routing" assuming you mean this to add to a garmin or tom tom sat nav ,as yet not come across anything
that adds or over writes the standard garmin or tom tom routing system from an outside source. if one did exsist can not imagine how
it could be an improvement over the standard routing programme given the libray data these two have built up on road movements
data .but certainly i would be interested to know if such products were out there....

mines about 3 years old and it's a Garmin 1490t which can be programmed with a specific route from a PC/MAC using Garmin Mapsource. I believe the newer software Basecamp can also be used too. It's quite useful for picking caravan friendly routes that I particularly wish to follow as opposed to the route automatically generated by the satnav itself. It's accurate enough to generate the final approach to a campsite, very useful on my own or at night. I still carry maps and route bullet cards when towing if on route to a new site not visited before.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
otherclive said:
JonnyG said:
hi

mines about 3 years old and it's a Garmin 1490t which can be programmed with a specific route from a PC/MAC using Garmin Mapsource. I believe the newer software Basecamp can also be used too. It's quite useful for picking caravan friendly routes that I particularly wish to follow as opposed to the route automatically generated by the satnav itself. It's accurate enough to generate the final approach to a campsite, very useful on my own or at night. I still carry maps and route bullet cards when towing if on route to a new site not visited before.
hi clive
sorry we are at cross purposes here, when i read " programmes for routing" it lead me to understand you could download a
programme which overwrites garmin or tom toms standard routing system. this of course is not true. all you can do with mapsource and the likes is arrange a route how you want it and download that route or poi's ect ect.....to the sat nav.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts