towing weight completely confused

Hi

We are completely new to caravanning and are looking to buy our first van, however I am finding the towing weight a nightmare, I am totally confused.

We have a Volvo V40 1.8 petrol (1999), hubby as find in the car handbook that the total towing weight is 1400kg, and he says that a van upto this is ok to tow, I dont agree and think it is too much, and it is causing a few niggles.

Can anyone please help us with regards what is the max weight caravan that we could purchase and tow safely with our car.

thank you

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Christine

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure that you will receive lots of advice about towing weights and on any other questions that you may have.

The information from our website is Here and some tips for beginners can be found

Here

If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask

G

Christine,

Wewlcome to the world of caravanning.

Your hubyy is correct in his numbers legally, but these figures are given by Volvo as the MAXIMUM the car can tow. That is nowhere near what is considered a safe weight.

As the guidelines mentioned by Parksy state 'get the lightest van you can live with for the best stability in the outfit'. For a V40 petrol (average kerb weight 1300 kg) then you should be looking at about 1000-1100 kg MTPLM and yes, there are vans on the market that will fit this category, unless you demand 6 berths, end washrooms, double dinettes and all the other paraphernalia that may, or may not be essential to enjoy the hobby.

I do hope you do not have a large family as with the V40 you may be restricted, but for a 2 berth, or even 4 berth then there is a good choice available, but the payload may be only 150 - 200 kg max, so be careful what you put inthere.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi Christine,

If your husband passed his test before 1997, he can tow whatever the manufacturer says, with a limit of 3500kg for overrun brakes. Whether that is sensible is another matter.

If he passed his test after 1997, then he will be restricted to towing a trailer with a MGW not greater than the UNLADEN weight of the tow car. Note that UNLADEN is NOT the same as KERB WEIGHT.

The Caravan Club RECOMEND that for a novice, the weight of the caravan should not exceed 85% of the KERB weight of the towcar.

Note ... RECOMEND, its not a legal requirement.

Note ... NOVICE, Define! And do you buy another caravan when hubby is no longer a novice?

Note ... KERB weight, which has different definitions.

Note ... CARAVAN, this doesn't apply to other trailers.

So, that should give you a few bones to chew over in the evenings to come. You can also discuss murder and divorce.

Personally, I think that the wheelbase, and distance between centre of back axle to centre of towball should come into the equation. And I would recomend the smalest caravan you can be comfy in.

Good luck,

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
602 has said that unladen weight is not the same as kerbweight. While this is strictly true, for all intents and purposes the difference is of academic interest only, especially as the definition of unladen weight is in the process of being revised and there is no legal definition of kerbweight.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts